Author Topic: Internships  (Read 2914 times)

twoheadedboy85

• New to Town
    • View Profile
Internships
« on: Oct 13, 2007, 11:42 pm »
How important are they to getting professional work? I'm a recent college grad who just finished interning at a LORT theatre for a single show. Does it look good on a resume to have different internships from different theatres/types of theatres? Also, is there any difference between an internship an apprenticeship and a fellowship?

jspeaker

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Experience: Professional
Re: Internships
« Reply #1 on: Oct 14, 2007, 02:43 am »
The answer is... it depends...

Multiple internships- a lot depends on which theatres they are.  You want to make sure that multiple internships don’t become lateral moves.  If you are doing more than one, make sure each one is better than the one before whether its because it is at a bigger larger regional theatre that is well known or because you get to PSM the children’s show while working on the main stage or you'll be working with a stage manager with some knowledge and connections that you can benefit from.

Definitions are all different.  What I did as an apprentice at Round House Theatre is the same thing that Dramachic did as an intern at Olney Theatre Center.  I believe that the exact same job is a fellowship at Arena Stage.  Round House's interns are non-paid HS kids and at Olney the apprentice works with the education department.  No matter what it is called, check out the job requirements and the pay/stipend/benefits.  Luckily most theatre employers understand and will ask if there is any question as to what your duties were as a fellow/intern/apprentice.
Jess W. Speaker, III
Equity Stage Manager
DC Area AEA Liaison
(301) 335-1498

http://q5go.blogspot.com/