Author Topic: resume questions  (Read 5574 times)

stagemonkey

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
resume questions
« on: Aug 02, 2006, 05:03 pm »
So I was wondering what those of you out there who do hirering look for in the resume?  What I have now is listed as my title, show name - theatre company, location, and date ex:

"Stage Manager, Duality – Riddlemark Theatre, Chicago, IL July 2006"

Now I know some people have the names of directors on there, while others don't.  Is that something worth having on the resume?  Also as far as dates go how specific does it need to get?  I see some people just have a year where as I tend to put month and year. 

Any thoughts and tips would be great. If you would like to give specific constructive criticisms on my resume you can find a copy on my website: www.jasonshivers.net

Thanks for any help and tips.

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
  • Experience: Professional
Re: resume questions
« Reply #1 on: Aug 02, 2006, 09:13 pm »
Eventually, it will be more important to put the director then the date.  Early in you career you may want the dates on there to show how long you have been working, but soon it may be more important to show which directors you are working with.

My resume is

Name of Show (+Stars)   Director    Position  Theatre/Location

That is one standard.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

stagemonkey

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Aug 03, 2006, 12:26 am »
What do you mean by "Name of show (+stars)"?

Also if you list a name in the line like that is it understood you are refering to the director or do you need to put in a title heading?

I'm really just looking for what others think simply cause for a resume there is no set right way to do it but there are many many wrong ways, and you have to find what works best for you.

Mac Calder

• Forum Moderators
  • Plan for the future, live for the now
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Live Performance Australia / Media Arts and Entertainment Alliance
  • Current Gig: Technical Director
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #3 on: Aug 03, 2006, 02:56 am »
It means you include any big names ie:

Jesus Christ Superstar (John Farnham, Kate Ceberano, Jon Stevens, John Waters & Angry Anderson), Directed by Richard Wherrett, Produced by Harry M. Miller

(I wish I had that on my resume)

Unlike Matt, I don't usually include the position in the actual show's line, instead grouping by position - so I have a section that lists shows I was Lighting Designer, shows I was Sound Designer, shows I was Stage Manager - mainly because I like to fit the entire show on one line, and "Production Stage Manager" or "Lighting and Sound Designer and Operator" takes up a lote of room. It also means I can prune the resume to taylor it to a job rather quickly by trimming down departments.
« Last Edit: Aug 03, 2006, 03:03 am by Mac Calder »

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #4 on: Aug 03, 2006, 12:29 pm »
About stars, yes, like mac said, I include the name of stars or big names included (or if it was a world premiere).

It's pretty common that the director is listed on the resume, so I don't think it needs to be referenced in anyway - also, one begins to work at a level where it's obvious these are directors.

http://www.stagemanager.net/Resume.html

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

ljh007

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: SMA
« Reply #5 on: Aug 04, 2006, 07:39 am »
I would recommend including director (and/or star) credits on the resume based on who will be reading your resume. Consider your audience. If you've been working locally with some great folks in your town and you're applying for a job with a new local company, it would be good to include the names, since the names of local directors are usually known around a town. However, if you've worked locally and are looking to take your first away gig at a larger national company, they will probably not be interested in the local directors you've worked with, and you could use that extra space to demonstrate more about your skills and experience. I have several copies of my resume saved on my computer - some emphasizing event work, some making my opera SMing prominent, and another that is more general (plus resumes that are office-oriented and mention my freelance SMing only in passing). I would save a copy of your resume with names and another without, then issue them based on the job you're applying for.