Author Topic: Showcase and Managers...  (Read 5469 times)

Candy0081

• Contributor
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: National Tour
  • Experience: Professional
Showcase and Managers...
« on: Nov 28, 2006, 11:06 am »
Hello Everyone---

I'm not sure which forum this should go in, so moderators please feel free to move this as needed.  I am currently in the third year of an MFA program getting ready to graduate.  I have 5 actors graduating with me as well as 2 theatre managers.  We are currently putting together a showcase to take to the New York and Philly area as well as Chicago.  My question for the group is how do I as a stage manager get my foot in the door for interviews and things like that when in the city for a limited amount of time.  We will be doing a showcase, is there a way to get people there that I can talk to?  Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Candy

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
Re: Showcase and Managers...
« Reply #1 on: Dec 17, 2006, 09:55 pm »
I would recommend make a list of production managers, producers, general managers you would like to meet in the city and send them your resume ahead of time and try to set up a meeting.

You may not make have the time to meet with them them all, but maybe one or two wil answer, and then form there . . .who knows.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

hbelden

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
« Reply #2 on: Dec 18, 2006, 12:21 pm »
Candy - what a good idea.  I have done three or four MFA showcases in New York and in LA, it never occurred to me to try and get work for myself while doing them.  Of course, I was super-busy with the showcases.  I used my little down-time in NYC walking around Broadway (getting the lay of the land) and catching up with undergrad buddies.  Since you have only five actors, you might have more success then they do on this trip!

I would add to Matthew's suggestion that you contact SMA - maybe even join (don't they have a student level?) - and that may lead to some contacts.  If you don't get interviews, you may be able to shadow a show and that is very instructive.

--
Heath Belden

"I'm not good, I'm not nice, I'm just right." - Sondheim
--

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
« Reply #3 on: Dec 18, 2006, 11:04 pm »
Setting up an observation is a great way to get to a peek into that level of theatre, but I strongly discourage as using it as a way to try to get a drop, drop off a resume, etc.  That really should not be the purpose of an observation.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

Candy0081

• Contributor
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: National Tour
« Reply #4 on: Jan 07, 2007, 11:05 pm »
Thank you for your suggestions!  I am working on a list of people to send things to.  Anyone need a stage manager?

Candy

MarcieA

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA, SMA
  • Current Gig: PSM, Lake George Dinner Theatre/Tri Cities Opera
« Reply #5 on: Jan 08, 2007, 02:17 am »
If you have questions about any of the Philly area theatres, let me know! I was born and raised and worked there as well.
Companions whom I loved and still love, tell them my song.