Author Topic: ShowBiz Expo in NYC  (Read 2695 times)

thankyou5

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Experience: Professional
ShowBiz Expo in NYC
« on: Mar 25, 2010, 05:10 pm »
I was wondering if anyone has been to the ShowBiz Expo in NYC or LA.  I'm planning on attending this year in NYC and am not sure what to expect.  The website says to bring resumes and business cards, both of which I have.  I am familiar with the USITT Expo.  Is this anything like it?  Has anyone had success at networking/job seeking through this event?

loebtmc

• View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SAG, AFTRA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Caroling, caroling now we go — and looking for my next gig!
Re: ShowBiz Expo in NYC
« Reply #1 on: Mar 26, 2010, 02:45 am »
I went to the LA expo last year, worked the AEA booth - pretty useless for SMs and not extremely useful to theater actors, but for film/tv/vo there were some good opportunities for performers.

NomieRae

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA, Adelphi University
« Reply #2 on: Mar 26, 2010, 01:46 pm »
I'll be at the one in NYC this year just to poke around--didn't pay for any extra "table discussions" even though there was one for Stage Managers. Just interested to see what it entails and if it is useful at all.
--Naomi
"First, I honor life, and with it my life in theatre." -- Jacques Burdick

thankyou5

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
« Reply #3 on: Mar 28, 2010, 02:39 pm »
Just came back from the Expo.  I didn't sign up for any of the extras, I just walked through the free portion of the Expo.  It seemed more geared towards actors than anything else.  The Expo floor was tiny and couldn't have had more then 50 exhibitors.   A lot of tables were promoting online networking and website design as well as several headshot booths.  USITT's Expo blows this one away by far.   

riotous