Author Topic: Separate SM Resume  (Read 2334 times)

XanderQCall

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Current Gig: PSM, My Old Lady, Kansas City Actors Theatre
  • Experience: Professional
Separate SM Resume
« on: Dec 03, 2013, 06:04 pm »
Hey Fellow Stage Managers! Quick question!
I am revising my resume to incorporate a couple more shows and I was just wondering if it would be better if I just had a resume for for just "Stage Management" instead of the one I currently have which has productions I have stage managed, assistant stage managed, served as  production assistant. Thoughts? Thank you!!

leastlikely

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: EMC
  • Current Gig: The White Snake - Constellation Theatre Company
  • Experience: Professional
Re: Separate SM Resume
« Reply #1 on: Dec 04, 2013, 03:53 am »
It ultimately depends on how you want to present yourself. The short answer is: You can tailor your resume for the job you're applying for. If you're applying for an ASM position, you'll want to have more ASM credits on your resume, but if you're applying for an SM job you should show more SM credits. If you have enough SM credits to have a full resume on their own, then by all means do that. But if you are worried that your credits will look sparse because you can't fill a whole page with just SM credits, then I'd say continue to keep both on there, but maybe adjust here and there depending on the job you're applying for.

For me personally: I've done a fair amount of ASM work, mostly at one particular theatre which is pretty well-known in town, and people who see those jobs on my resume are probably familiar with at least one of the shows I ASM'ed there, if not just generally familiar with the company and the people who work there. I have about the same number of SM credits, but it's at a random assortment of theatres that are less impressive. So I'm still at a spot in my career where I think it's important to keep my ASM work on my primary stage management resume, because I have definitely gotten hired based on those credits. The same can't be said for my SM credits.