Author Topic: Seeking Stage Management Fellowship  (Read 15917 times)

nikkiec

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Experience: Professional
Re: Seeking Stage Management Fellowship
« Reply #15 on: Feb 19, 2008, 06:55 pm »
Barter Theatre in Abindgon, VA offers seasonal positions (Jan-Dec) for PA, PI.  Housing is provided.  Great gig, although you have to be prepared to work your butt off!  I recently worked there-- drop me a line if you want more information.

;D
Done and Done

phillydan

• New to Town
    • View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #16 on: Feb 25, 2008, 10:30 pm »
I apprenticed at the Walnut Street Theatre in Philadelphia in the 2000-2001 season.  It was an incredible experience.  Once the shows opened (and they produce big-budget musicals and plays), it was me on stage left and the other apprentice on stage right--you work as a fully functioning ASM and I can't imagine a better way to learn. 

As for the stipend, it was, at that time, $275.00 a week.  No housing, but I was able to afford my own studio apartment in center city, a seven minute walk to the theatre.  Money was tight, no doubt.  But I was able to get by and still go out for a good time once in a while.  They also provided health insurance, and if you can find the time, free classes in their theatre school.  I also spent the summer after my apprenticeship as the production manager of their summer camp and went back the following two seasons to stage manage their non-equity "Christmas Carol" on the mainstage.  I also can say that having those credits on my resume definitely helped to make my phone ring more often after working there.

geridith

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Feb 28, 2008, 01:10 pm »
I'm in my second semester of the Juilliard School's professional intern program for stage management. Its really hard, but totally worth it for the connections. The pay isn't great, but most rehearsals are at night so I do odd temp jobs during the day and manage to afford a Manhattan apartment. Most people just live in Brooklyn or Jersey. I also like that they expose you to drama, dance, and opera all in one year. And the students are amazingly talented of course, which makes the job more fun.

Samantha

BLee

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
    • BrandyLee Hatcher, SM
  • Affiliations: University of California-Irvine, Graduate SM, Class of '13
  • Current Gig: Assistant Stage Manager at Disneyland Resorts
  • Experience: College/Graduate
« Reply #18 on: Feb 28, 2008, 04:36 pm »
I couldn't find where the Juilliard website mentioned the professional intern program. Do you have the website or more information about he program?

Thanks!
XX. The only valid excuse for missing one's cue is death.
-Proverb from the Techie Bible.

geridith

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Feb 29, 2008, 10:51 am »
Its a little hidden, here's the direct link:

http://www.juilliard.edu/about/profintern.html

riotous