Author Topic: Secondary Stage Manager at the Center for Puppetry Arts, Atlanta  (Read 6128 times)

Tempest

• Permanent Resident
  • Learn to love chaos, then tame it.
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: The Center For Puppetry Arts
  • Experience: Professional
Hey, all. I'm leaving my position as Resident Stage Manager at the Center for Puppetry Arts in Atlanta. Our secondary stage manager is stepping up into my role, which means we have an opening for an additional stage manager (it takes three or four to run our entire season of programming!) You would not be on contract the entire season, but only for specific weeks and shows. Don't take these numbers as gospel, but I believe the Center needs a secondary stage manager between 20 and 30 weeks out of the year, so it is consistent, if not totally steady work.
I have LOVED my time at the Center, but it's just time for me to move on. I'd feel so much better knowing there's a fully staffed SM team in place when I go.
I've copied the posting from our website, below. Also, here. http://www.puppet.org/about/work-with-us/

Position: STAGE MANAGER
The Center for Puppetry Arts is accepting resumes for contract stage managers for the 2019-2020 season. The Stage Manager will supervise performers, assist directors and conduct rehearsals, performances and meetings for any assigned production. The Stage Manager will also run all technical elements for Center productions, including but not limited to lights, sound, video and FX.   

The Center for Puppetry Arts is the largest nonprofit organization in the United States dedicated to the art form of puppetry. The Center produces 6 Family Season shows and 6-8 New Direction Series (Adult) shows and touring guest artist shows in 2 theaters.  The Center’s mission is to inspire imagination, education, and community through the global art of puppetry.  For further information, visit our website at www.puppet.org

Direct supervisors of this position are the Resident Stage Manager and Director (of contacted show) and the Departmental Supervisor is the Producer. The SM works closely with all other production personnel.

Production Specific Responsibilities:

Generating and maintaining all show related paper work; eg scripts, calendars, contact info, reports ect.
Supervision of puppeteers
Supervision of a production’s rehearsal period
Generation and distribution of rehearsal reports
Generation and supervision of technical notes
Script supervision and distribution of revisions
Recording and updating all Blocking and Choreography
Being “On Book” for performers
Maintaining all pre production lists
Generating show specific lists
Supplying puppeteers with rehearsal needs
Operation of all equipment necessary for rehearsals, including but not limited to: Sound, Overhead projectors, halogen shadow lights, recorded media and reporting equipment failure to appropriate Production Personnel
Maintaining schedule of rehearsal period and calls
Running of daily production meetings (once production moves on stage)
Organization and running of Technical Rehearsals
Generating Running (Tech) Scripts
Coordination of Technical Rehearsal schedule with all required personnel
Supervision and organization of Puppeteers for technical process
Maintenance and oversight of Technical Rehearsal Periods and schedules
Operation of all technical systems required for the particular production, which may include but are not limited to: light boards, non dims, sound mixing boards, Q lab, Power Point, Compact Discs, Microphones, DVD’s, Video Mixers, vocal effects units, and other equipment.
Performing all technical operations of the production on a daily basis:
Maintaining the highest possible performance standards
Performing the pre show announcements live for each and every show
Adjusting and performing all sound to the needs of the size and conditions of the house
Being able to make all technical adjustments as needed for any contingency while the show is running without stopping the flow of the performance: e.g. Adjusting for failed equipment, slipped or failed microphone, adjusting cues to accommodate an injured or ill performer or understudy, in short, any situation that may affect the show.
Maintaining the run of the production
Generating and distributing daily reports on the status of the production
Effecting minor repairs to puppets, props, and set items to maintain the production values of the performance
Making sure that all repair notes (minor and major) are completed in time for the next performance, or scheduling shop time and assistance for more complicated repairs
Maintaining the Director’s rehearsal process and notes throughout the run of the production
Opening and closing the theater and Green Room areas
All pre show and post show stage duties
Overseeing the call and warm-ups and needs of and for the puppeteers
Daily Maintenance of all Microphone units
Daily Running and operation of all, lights, sound, media and SPFX for the production
Scheduling and/or coordinating archival recordings and photo calls
Maintaining all safety and emergency procedures and equipment
Assistance with strike
Completion of show book and going over Show Book Checklist with the RSM
Daily coordination with Ticketing, House Staff, and cast to begin a performance
Reporting to Building Supervisor or Production Personnel any maintenance issues that may arise in the House or Stage respectively.
Maintenance of wardrobe for the production
Daily Laundry
Weekly Dry Cleaning
Inventory and Maintenance of puppeteer needs for production
Other duties as assigned

JOB REQUIREMENTS:

-BA or BFA in Theater or related discipline (preferably in stage management) – or - Equivalent professional experience
-Previous stage management experience
-Proficient in PC and Mac Platforms
-Proficient in Q-Lab programming (Show Control, Audio, and Video)
-Experience in Live Sound Mixing of a minimum of 12 channels
-Experience with wireless microphones
-Experience with running projections
-Working knowledge and experience in Sound Engineering
-Working knowledge of Digital Sound Boards (i.e. Allen & Heath Dlive)
-Working knowledge and basic programming of ETC Ion light console
-Working knowledge of musical notations and choreography
-Experience with basic tools and repair techniques (for puppets, props, set, and paint)
-Very strong organizational skills
-Excellent concentration and multi-tasking abilities
-Strong interpersonal skills
-Strong leadership skills
-Able and willing to work independently at times with minimal supervision, but is also able to work as a part of a team
-Valid Driver’s License

To apply: 
Please send cover letter and resume to hr@puppet.org  or

Center for Puppetry Arts
Attn: HR
1404 Spring St. N.W.
Atlanta, GA  30309
Jessica: "Of course I have a metric size 4 dinglehopper in my kit!  Who do you think I am?"

riotous