Author Topic: Schools for Electricians / Light Techs  (Read 4477 times)

KMC

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Project Manager, Systems Integration
  • Experience: Former SM
Schools for Electricians / Light Techs
« on: May 03, 2007, 11:41 am »
Hi all,

Reaching out to the SM Network with a question!  I'm in continuous need of qualified light technicians to work onboard ships.  Given the nature of ship life we find that the typical crewmember is 21-26 or 27 years old and relatively unattached.  Our technicians must:
  • Program Hog II, Hog III, Hog iPC on the fly
  • Maintain an inventory of spare parts for Martin intelligent lighting fixtures
  • Repair and maintain Martin intelligent lighting fixtures
  • Have some familiarity with show control programs and concepts
  • Have a good design eye for vegas style and rock style production

Is anyone aware of any Universities or Trade Schools (anywhere in the world) that pump out these types of techs with practical real world experience on a regular basis?  Feedback from folks who have been out in the real world working for several years would be appreciated!  Thanks guys!!
« Last Edit: May 03, 2007, 01:22 pm by kmc307 »
Get action. Do things; be sane; don’t fritter away your time; create, act, take a place wherever you are and be somebody; get action. -T. Roosevelt

ScooterSM

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: SMA
  • Experience: Professional
Re: Schools for Electricians / Light Techs
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2007, 04:42 pm »
You may want to contact Jim Moody at LA City College.  They have a technician training program that probably covers most if not all of those skills.
“I've never been paid a lot, but the theatre has kept me, and for that I shall be eternally grateful.” Tony Church

KMC

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2007, 01:05 pm »
Thanks for the recommendation Scooter.  I checked out their website and frankly it is not too impressive and doesn't offer a whole lot of info about their program.

Have you worked with people out of here?  What do you know about their program?  I would like to get some unbiased info before contacting the school, because of course everyone thinks their school is the best.
Get action. Do things; be sane; don’t fritter away your time; create, act, take a place wherever you are and be somebody; get action. -T. Roosevelt

Mac Calder

• Forum Moderators
  • Plan for the future, live for the now
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Live Performance Australia / Media Arts and Entertainment Alliance
  • Current Gig: Technical Director
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2007, 09:17 pm »
KMC - you are asking a lot from a graduate. Whilst 'further education' in lighting etc teaches design principals etc, they don't tend to teach that sort of skill set (ie "practical real world experiance"). I think you really need to aim for the few years out of college sort of demographic, as opposed to the "So green they need mowing" demographic that seems to come from the further education stream.

KMC

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2007, 10:15 pm »
Yes Mac, agreed - folks right out of school are a little bit too green to take on that much responsibility right out of the gate.  What I'm looking to do is bring someone with that (or close to that) skillset in at an entry level position (stagehand).  After a couple of contracts at that position look at them to step into a technician role.  It is a tall order though, I'm aware :o).

ScooterSM

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: SMA
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2007, 11:01 am »
Have you worked with people out of here?  What do you know about their program?

I have worked on several shows with the guy who is the head of the dept, and have also sent several of my undergrad students there for more specific training.  My students found the training to be very hands on, and said that they learned a lot (far more than 4 yrs of traditional undergrad).

I am not sure why there website is so lame.  I have noticed that as well.  I would recommend calling and talking to them, and see if they can provide you with a list of where their grads have been hired or are working.

Good luck!
“I've never been paid a lot, but the theatre has kept me, and for that I shall be eternally grateful.” Tony Church

riotous