Author Topic: Right season to send resumes??  (Read 4290 times)

gotracigo

• New to Town
    • View Profile
    • www.tracigaydos.com
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA
  • Current Gig: Production Stage Manager
  • Experience: Professional
Right season to send resumes??
« on: Jul 23, 2008, 12:59 am »
Hey, everyone.

As we approach August and summer stocks wind down, I am thinking about sending out some more resumes.  I am just wondering what everyone's input is about the best time of year to send out cold resumes for different genres or projects.  For example, I heard once that you have to apply for cruise ships in May, but have no idea if this is true?  Also, how far out are opera companies and LORT theatre hiring for their seasons.  And is now too early to start sending out resumes for next summer, or will they be tossed?

Maybe the hiring managers on the boards can give input as to when the appropriate timing is...  I just feel like I have been sending resumes out in the wrong season, and companies are already full by the time they receive my information.... (or so they say, lol...)

Any guidance would be much appreciated.

Opinions expressed here are not necessarily those of my employer.

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
  • Experience: Professional
Re: Right season to send resumes??
« Reply #1 on: Jul 23, 2008, 09:52 am »
I think January - March is ideal for LORT seasons and summer theater situations.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

KMC

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Project Manager, Systems Integration
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #2 on: Jul 23, 2008, 10:54 am »
Cruise lines hire year round.  Ships sail year round therefor shows are running year round.  The industry naturally has about a 35-40% annual turnover rate due to the demanding lifestyle, so positions open up pretty continuously.

Good luck in your search!
Get action. Do things; be sane; don’t fritter away your time; create, act, take a place wherever you are and be somebody; get action. -T. Roosevelt

ljh007

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: SMA
« Reply #3 on: Jul 24, 2008, 08:12 am »
Many of the larger opera companies assemble their teams over the summer (if they have the standard-ish performance schedule of September-April), so May and June are the best months to send resumes in to operas. Smaller operas might hire on a show-by-show basis, and will be seeking candidates year-round. If it's a summer festival, March and April might be the time to get in touch with them.

I would recommend that you send your resume in to an opera company only if you know that they are hiring for a specific stage management position. If they are not looking, there's a strong chance you'll get put in the file and forgotten about even when an opportunity comes along. You can certainly send your resume in repeatedly to the same company, but it would be best is they have an open position.