Author Topic: Resume Workshop - Have you attended one?  (Read 3953 times)

BayAreaSM

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • Bay Area SM
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Current Gig: VP, Operations in AV Events
  • Experience: Professional
Resume Workshop - Have you attended one?
« on: Aug 31, 2011, 12:28 pm »
I apologize if this is the wrong board for posting this. Please feel free to move it.

I searched around and found out that SMNetwork had offered a chat-style resume workshop in the past, but it seems that the chat associated with the workshop has been taken down (or at least I can't find it). Currently I am receiving resumes for a PA position where I work and the resumes and cover letters are just horrible in formatting, content and have a complete lack of coherent sentence structure.

By attempting to read these atrocities, I have become "inspired" to organize a Resume Workshop in my area. Aside from the one on SMN, has anyone attended one? If so, do you recall anything you felt was particularly helpful/insightful during said workshop? Aside from reviewing the basics of how to write an appropriate cover letter and how to format your resume in a basic sense (I know there are several versions of which way is correct), was there anything else covered in your workshop?

I appreciate any feedback/advice. I will be working with a local theater group to get the workshop organized, and I would appreciate any thing SMN members have to offer.

Thanks!

LizzG

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: First National Tour
Re: Resume Workshop - Have you attended one?
« Reply #1 on: Aug 31, 2011, 02:37 pm »
In college I TA-ed a communication class where we did a class on resumes.  It was mostly just showing examples of many resumes (and the 2 major different kinds) and going over the basic points on how to create one yourself, but we also had everyone in the class submit a resume/cover letter to us, and we critiqued them.  That seemed to be of the most help to everyone in the class, because even though they had sat through the lesson on creating a resume/cover letter, they still turned in some stinky resumes....though I don't know if you have time for that!

ErgoCue

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Current Gig: Production Stage Manager - New Voices Festival at The Old Globe
« Reply #2 on: Sep 01, 2011, 03:36 pm »
I attended a resume seminar when I went to USITT in Houston a few years ago and it was extremely informative!  They had a panel of production managers, technical directors, and stage managers go over the basics, highlighting what they looked for and what they despised.  They covered all the basics, but they also took the time to do one-on-one resume reviews.  I was able to get instant feedback and it really made an impact on me.  The head of the workshop also offered to take home a resume from everyone and then mailed them back with comments.  That may be a good option if you're looking to help, but don't want to make everyone stand in a line while you critique each one.

dallas10086

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Freelance PSM; currently Charlotte Squawks 12
« Reply #3 on: Oct 06, 2011, 07:06 pm »
I'm in the same boat - personally I remember in middle school having to learn how to write a proper business-related letter (in English class, where we were expected to know proper sentence structure); but I think nowadays for some reason it's fallen to the wayside.

The point I always drive home is emphasizing the professional touch, not the personal touch. For some reason I see resumes with pictures, emoticons(?!), clipart, thinking they're putting a personal touch that will make them stand out; these are the same ones that write the address on the envelope with sloppy, illegible handwriting or misspelled names of managers.

I'd love to see a clean, concise resume with an intelligible cover letter. I want to read their information thinking they could handle a job with maturity, not that they're a homeboy that's fun at parties.

riotous