Author Topic: Resume - special circumstances  (Read 4574 times)

Amie

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
    • Amie S. Bajlaieh  - Stage Manager. Producer. Artist.
  • Affiliations: Crossroads Theatre Company, Rutgers University
  • Current Gig: Producing Associate, Crossroads Theatre Company
  • Experience: Professional
Resume - special circumstances
« on: Nov 11, 2008, 03:32 pm »
Hi, all.

*Apologies beforehand if I haven't posted this in the correct category*

I have a couple of special circumstances that I don't know how to list on my resume:

1) Being a key-note speaker for a stage management workshop (I believe I've currently listed this under Job Related Experience, or something similiar)

2) Being hired to instruct a novice class on stage management (just providing the very basic tools for a school that doesn't have a SM program, but wanted members of the community to offer the best advice)

3)  Being actually hired as a stage manager (easy to credit and list right there). However, being hired by a university for one show as a stage manager MENTOR.  In this capacity, I am working with a student assistant, who is not only assisting me, but getting hands on training with how I've worked as a stage manager. We work side by side, versus having her just assist.

How would one credit these experiences? They are all stage management related, but I would like to stress that they are unique in that they are either for workshops, classrooms, or mentorships (while still doing my job as SM). 

Any thoughts? 
~ Amie ~

“This whole creation is essentially subjective, and the dream is the theater where the dreamer is at once: scene, actor, prompter, stage manager, author, audience, and critic.”

nystagemanager26

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
Re: Resume - special circumstances
« Reply #1 on: Nov 12, 2008, 12:52 pm »
Try listing these things under "SKILLS" or "OTHER"
I am a teaching artist, I mentor stage mangers in high school and college.  It's listed under "SKILLS" because employers do read that as well as your credits.

Amie

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
    • Amie S. Bajlaieh  - Stage Manager. Producer. Artist.
  • Affiliations: Crossroads Theatre Company, Rutgers University
  • Current Gig: Producing Associate, Crossroads Theatre Company
« Reply #2 on: Nov 14, 2008, 01:49 pm »
Try listing these things under "SKILLS" or "OTHER"
I am a teaching artist, I mentor stage mangers in high school and college.  It's listed under "SKILLS" because employers do read that as well as your credits.

Ah, yes. Thank you.

What about the job that I am STILL hired to stage manage for, but train while I do so?  Has anyone been in this situation before?  I don't doubt someone else has.
~ Amie ~

“This whole creation is essentially subjective, and the dream is the theater where the dreamer is at once: scene, actor, prompter, stage manager, author, audience, and critic.”

Jessie_K

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
    • International Stage Manager of Mystery
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA, SMA (on leave)
  • Current Gig: Queen of the Night
« Reply #3 on: Nov 14, 2008, 02:20 pm »
I have held positions similar to this, but I have always listed them on my resume simply as PSM and then discussed special tasks in the cover letter or during interview if it applies.  Never really thought about listing it specially on the resume.