Author Topic: Resume question--current show  (Read 9156 times)

Meg_23_c2o

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
Resume question--current show
« on: Aug 12, 2008, 11:03 pm »
I'm a young stage manager, and I'm curious to see whether it's ok to put a current show on a resume.  The show I'm on right now does not actually open until late Sept., but I just moved to New York, and it's one of the few New York credits I have.  Is it ok to put it on, or is it better to wait until the show is actually open?
Superman can leap tall buildings in a single bound.  Stage managers have to lift up the buildings so everyone else can walk under them.

zayit shachor

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
    • http://thankyouten.blogspot.com
Re: Resume question--current show
« Reply #1 on: Aug 12, 2008, 11:49 pm »
I usually list my current / upcoming show with (forthcoming) accompanying the title.

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #2 on: Aug 13, 2008, 07:14 am »
I always find my rule of thumb is once I sign the contract to add it to my resume . . . currently right now I have four shows on my resume that I haven't start rehearsal - I put the season and the year next to it (spring, 09) for example.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

SMrose

• Permanent Resident
  • all the world's a stage
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, IATSE
  • Current Gig: Technical Support Services @ Lenoir-Rhyne University
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #3 on: Aug 13, 2008, 09:57 am »
"Current" show is fine to put on a resume. I always have a cover letter that accompanies my resume and it's in the cover letter that I'll put all upcoming shows in addition to an overview of my work ethics.

dee4156

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: CAEA, AEA
« Reply #4 on: Sep 01, 2008, 08:47 am »
I always include it in a cover letter. ie. "Currently I am working on (blank) and will become available for employment as of (blank)."  That way, it's included, attention is drawn to that credit, it shows that you're in demand and it doesn't cross the weirdness of including it in a resume when you haven't completed it.
"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid" ~John Wayne

SMExtraordinaire

• New to Town
  • Must respect the ball cap....
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Stage Manager's Association
« Reply #5 on: Sep 01, 2008, 04:32 pm »
For me - if I spent one day of rehearsal on the show it goes on my resume. I was the stage manager for at least a day.
"It required a bland, conscientious temperament that expected abuse and never admiration. The best stage managers are usually women, who bear the indignity for the historical neccessity of continuity itself." - John Osbourne

Amie

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
    • Amie S. Bajlaieh  - Stage Manager. Producer. Artist.
  • Affiliations: Crossroads Theatre Company, Rutgers University
  • Current Gig: Producing Associate, Crossroads Theatre Company
« Reply #6 on: Nov 11, 2008, 02:34 pm »
I always find my rule of thumb is once I sign the contract to add it to my resume . . . currently right now I have four shows on my resume that I haven't start rehearsal - I put the season and the year next to it (spring, 09) for example.

This can be done?! I was advised not to do this.  I suppose, however, it does make sense if one is already contracted.

Thanks!
~ Amie ~

“This whole creation is essentially subjective, and the dream is the theater where the dreamer is at once: scene, actor, prompter, stage manager, author, audience, and critic.”

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
« Reply #7 on: Nov 11, 2008, 04:20 pm »
I do put the date of shows in the future . . .  . (like spring 2009) for example.

Gives one a sense of projects upcoming as well.

Now, if you want the option to back out of future projects for a better gig, then I would not list them.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

nystagemanager26

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
« Reply #8 on: Nov 12, 2008, 12:49 pm »
I don't recommend putting shows on your resume that are "forthcoming," too many things can change. However if you are in tech or previews then I would.  If the show is playing then of course you should list the show as "current."

Scott

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Nov 12, 2008, 10:05 pm »
I don't put current or upcoming productions on my resume until they've been put to bed...gives me something to talk about in my cover letter.