Author Topic: Resume paper  (Read 5211 times)

ljh007

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: SMA
Resume paper
« on: May 22, 2007, 09:19 pm »
I have been on the sending and receiving end of resumes for many many years, and still each time I go to send out a resume I pause at the printer trying to figure out what kind of paper to use.
I have lovely dusty moss-green paper that I adore and find entirely professional... but will the person who opens the envelope agree with my taste?
I also have an ivory parchment style paper that is nice, but it is just another resume paper.
Then there's always standard white paper, because who really cares anyway?
Depending on the position/company, I might select any of these papers any given day.

When I hire, I really don't care much what the paper is like as long as it has a nice weight. I enjoy a quality linen texture - it impresses me, but I know this is just a detail. As long as there are not pictures of Loony Tunes dancing around the border (seen it) - actually, preferably no graphics at all, please - I have never really cared much about resume paper from others' applications. But when it's my own application, this stops me dead in my tracks.

So, dear SMNet friends, what kind of paper do you use? Can I use the green paper I love so much or are you going to tell me to stick with the standard linen resume stuff?

Jessie_K

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
    • International Stage Manager of Mystery
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA, SMA (on leave)
  • Current Gig: Queen of the Night
  • Experience: Professional
Re: Resume paper
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2007, 02:59 am »
Paper is even becoming a dying art.  When I advertise jobs, I request electronic copies.  In the rare case that a company requests hard copy when I apply, I use heavy-weight clean white.  I used to do colors, but it seems cheesy to me.

Mac Calder

• Forum Moderators
  • Plan for the future, live for the now
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Live Performance Australia / Media Arts and Entertainment Alliance
  • Current Gig: Technical Director
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2007, 06:14 am »
120GSM bleached recycled white for me.

Balletdork

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Current Gig: PSM, The Human Race Theatre Company
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2007, 04:21 pm »
Yup- I like white, too. Although I don't mind those sandpaper or grey mist colors.... as long as it's not purple or something...

When I send my resume's they're on heavy-ish cream colored resume paper.

8)

Joshua S.

• Contributor
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AGMA
  • Current Gig: Asst. Production Manager - Mason Gross School of the Arts
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2007, 07:56 pm »
I personally use colored paper or resume paper when I'm sending things out.  This is mainly because I have a whole bunch of it in stock.
As long as there aren't any crazy graphics, and I can still read the resume, then I don't really care what it is on.

Libby

« Reply #5 on: Sep 04, 2007, 04:27 pm »
I very rarely seem to have to send out my resume via snailmail, but when I do I generally just print it out on basic white computer paper. While I feel aesthetics do matter, type of paper seems to play a small part. Most people I talk to that see hundreds of resumes are more concerned with content/overall look. Also, there is an automatic judgement when someone looks at a resume, and what I might see as classy can be viewed rather differently by someone else. I figure keep it clean, simple, and easy to read.

chops

• Contributor
  • My tie got caught in an arbor today
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sep 04, 2007, 08:30 pm »
Go with a white or off white heavy weight paper.  I always just go to Kinkos and look at their sample book under resume paper.  I tend not to buy a lot of resume paper because I always get creases or folds in it after storing it for a year or two.  But Kinkos is about five to seven cents per copy on heavy weight paper.  And if you use the recycled paper that has a small watermark on the bottom stating that it is made of post consumer goods it shows employers that you care about conservation.  Both of the environment and their budget, or so i am told by the director of HR where I work. 
Peace,

Chops

riotous