Author Topic: resume format  (Read 95450 times)

loebtmc

• View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SAG, AFTRA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Caroling, caroling now we go — and looking for my next gig!
  • Experience: Professional
Re: resume format
« Reply #60 on: Nov 12, 2010, 03:08 am »
May I suggest you peruse this forum, which has a lot of info contained within and may answer many of your questions. You can also look at some resumes of SMNetwork members and see how they did it, and figure out what makes the most sense to you...because what your committee wants and what works in the real world are not necessarily the same thing.

RobertMillsSM

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: ASM for "The Illusionists 1903" 2015/16 Australian Tour
« Reply #61 on: Oct 25, 2011, 06:55 pm »
Would love to get some feedback on my new resume format. I can't seem to access the resume database on this forum, some internal error. Feel free to move this post there if necessary, but I would love some feedback!

EDIT: Resume is now in the browser under Robert Mills. - PSMKay
« Last Edit: Oct 27, 2011, 05:30 pm by PSMKay »

PSMKay

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.smnetwork.org
  • Affiliations: None.
  • Current Gig: SMNetwork *is* my production.
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #62 on: Oct 26, 2011, 02:47 am »
Please report bugs like that to me using the "Feedback and Bug Reports" option in the About menu in the top right hand corner of the site. 

The resume browser has been repaired.

@Techiething, please save your resume as a web page (HTM format) and email it to me if you want to include it. I do not want to start a trend of people including their resumes on the publicly accessible/search engine indexed site.  Doing so is harmful to the the concept of a safe space, and it also goes against the community standards prohibiting publication of personal contact information. I'm going to go ahead and delete your attachment in the meantime.

RobertMillsSM

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: Oct 26, 2011, 07:46 pm »
PSMKay,

Thanks for the info. I can't seem to find a way to email you my resume. The email on your resume didn't go through and the PM option here won't allow me to attach a file. How can I get it to you?

PSMKay

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: Oct 26, 2011, 09:11 pm »
I'll PM my email address.  It's also in the Community Standards.

RobertMillsSM

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Oct 27, 2011, 08:05 pm »
Thanks to PSMKay, my resume is now viewable in the resume database here on SMNetwork. I would like to continue receiving feedback on it so that I may enhance it and better sell myself as I apply for jobs. Feel free to respond via PM on here or to the email listed on my resume. Thank you!

PSMKay

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Oct 27, 2011, 11:18 pm »
You're welcome. Perhaps some constructive criticism shared with the group in this thread will help others as well. Thanks for volunteering your resume for public critique and review!

Josh Parkin-Ring

• New to Town
    • View Profile
    • My Website
  • Affiliations: Equity, Stage Managers' Association, IASTE, Broadway League, Broadway Green Alliance
« Reply #67 on: Aug 18, 2013, 05:11 pm »
My CV tends to change format as it gets populated.  I prefer to use the European version of the Curriculum Vitae.  I also don't list my education on my CV because it scares people away.  (I have two graduate degrees that disqualify me from projects or positions I'm interested in due to being "over qualified".)  I only list prominent credits, mainly based on the Director, Producing entity, and current projects.

Here is mine as a sample.

Dart

• Contributor
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: GALA Hispanic Theatre
« Reply #68 on: Oct 24, 2013, 07:55 pm »
To add to the questions in this thread:

My credits are currently listed in three sections: "Stage Manager," "Assistant Stage Manager," and "Associated Credits."

Lately I've been working some shows in which I'm both the SM and a board OP. Is there a good way to incorporate that without redoing my whole resume? Should I list a show twice, once under SM and once under associated?

Extra credit: I'm also working as a recurring rental technician for a specific theatre. Is this a thing that should make it into my resume? How do I credit it, since it's not technically a show but an ongoing gig?

Jessie_K

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
    • International Stage Manager of Mystery
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA, SMA (on leave)
  • Current Gig: Queen of the Night
« Reply #69 on: Oct 25, 2013, 10:42 pm »
To add to the questions in this thread:

My credits are currently listed in three sections: "Stage Manager," "Assistant Stage Manager," and "Associated Credits."

Lately I've been working some shows in which I'm both the SM and a board OP. Is there a good way to incorporate that without redoing my whole resume? Should I list a show twice, once under SM and once under associated?

Extra credit: I'm also working as a recurring rental technician for a specific theatre. Is this a thing that should make it into my resume? How do I credit it, since it's not technically a show but an ongoing gig?

Do NOT list your credits twice.  It will confuse people and look like you are padding your resume.  If you really want to show the board op credits- keep the shows listed under the SM category and add an * (with a footnote below that section specifying SM/Board Op)

Not sure what you mean by "rental technician"  Do you mean freelance/ casual/ part time or are you literally handling rental equipment.  You can chose to list each show individually under Associated or just the credit one line and under show title put "various"

bex

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
  • Affiliations: AEA, Auburn University
  • Current Gig: Freelance SM/ASM
« Reply #70 on: Jul 09, 2014, 12:47 pm »
Quick question as I prepare for the process of turning AEA and sending out new resumes to let all the companies I've worked for know that I've turned-

What does the hive mind think is the best way to differentiate between being on an AEA contract and being on a non-AEA contract on your resume? Particularly because I have done several shows with the same AEA company as a non-AEA ASM, and will now be working for them as an AEA ASM. I'm thinking an * with a note at the bottom "* denotes productions under an AEA contract" or something similar. Is that confusing?
You will have to sing for your supper & your mortgage, your dental coverage & your children's shoes, over & over again while people in desk jobs roll their eyes the minute you start to complain. So it's a good thing you like to sing.

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
« Reply #71 on: Jul 10, 2014, 02:48 am »
that makes sense, the *.

But how about this . . . what happens if you don't put the *

a smart Production Manager / General Manager will know which theater would have an AEA asm versus not AEA.  why draw attention to the what will now be a long list of non-aea credits.

they tricky part is listing yourself as an ASM with a company that has an AEA-asm position, but you were not.

do a resume both ways and look at them with fresh eyes and see which one is a stronger introduction.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

bex

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
  • Affiliations: AEA, Auburn University
  • Current Gig: Freelance SM/ASM
« Reply #72 on: Jul 10, 2014, 05:26 pm »
Well, that's exactly what I'm afraid of- I'm still working for the same couple of AEA theaters that I've done several shows with in the past, but now I'm working for them as an AEA ASM instead of a non-AEA ASM. I want to make sure that there's an easy way to tell that I've sort of moved up one rung of the ladder with the same company.
You will have to sing for your supper & your mortgage, your dental coverage & your children's shoes, over & over again while people in desk jobs roll their eyes the minute you start to complain. So it's a good thing you like to sing.

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
« Reply #73 on: Jul 10, 2014, 07:10 pm »
Then I think in your case, for the next couple of years, put the *.

Or, again, list yourself as AEA at the top . . . and leave it at that.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

mizi5620

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: Apr 22, 2019, 02:05 pm »
I was recently brought on as the Production Stage Manager and Associate Producer for a theater company. Previously my resume consisted entirely of individual productions.

Any suggestions on how to format/list this position on my resume?