Author Topic: resume format  (Read 95319 times)

stagemonkey

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
resume format
« on: Nov 13, 2006, 03:12 pm »
I'm in the process of reworking my resume as I hit a point where I need to start lining up some more jobs, and while adding in shows I have done since the last update of my resume I look and am not fully happy with the layout.

I was wondering on a resume what people consider the important information to list.

I've seen some do it the following ways:

Job - Show Title - Theatre Company - Location - Dates

Show Title - Job - Director - Theatre

I'm just wondering what others do and what reason you chose the listings.  I mean i know show title, theatre company and job title are all needed items, but why would you say choose to list the date, director, or locations.

(subject edited for clarity 1/20/7 - ljh007)
« Last Edit: Jan 20, 2007, 10:18 am by ljh007 »

smejs

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA, SMA, USITT
  • Current Gig: Freelance SM in Denver
  • Experience: Professional
Re: more about resumes
« Reply #1 on: Nov 13, 2006, 06:33 pm »
I don't list dates unless they're in the title (Choreographer's Showcase 2006) or for the one show I did 5 years in a row with different cities each time.  (Each year of the show gets its own line in my current resume.)

My feeling is that otherwise, someone may decide you work too sporadically or not recent enough if you list every date.  Plus it takes up room I'd prefer to use with other things.

Erin

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
« Reply #2 on: Nov 13, 2006, 07:05 pm »
On my resume

it's

Show Title      Director     Position    Theatre

Attached is the PDF version of my current resume (which lists all shows currently contracted thru the end of the season . . . it's not perfect . . . as I have some blanks for some info coming up . . . but I have not sent out a resume in two years . . . I don't expect to send one in awhile.)

Hope this helps.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

Jessie_K

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
    • International Stage Manager of Mystery
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA, SMA (on leave)
  • Current Gig: Queen of the Night
« Reply #3 on: Nov 13, 2006, 07:51 pm »
I do the following:

Theater
Show Title        Position      Director      Theater     Date

Dance
Company          Position      Director/ Choreographer    Title      Date

Since I was a resident with a company for several years, I have given that a separate section and I don't list the theater's name each time.

LisaEllis

« Reply #4 on: Nov 13, 2006, 09:18 pm »
Having looked at many resumes, I think it's important to have the year listed, so people can see when you worked at which company.

I've done mine a couple ways...right now it's this way

Stage Manager
Company   Production   Director   Conductor  Year

Assistant Stage Manager
Company   Production  Director  Conductor  Year

For the productions that don't have a conductor, I just leave it blank.  And I group repeat jobs at a company together, which is clarified with having the year there.  It's clearer that I've been asked back somewhere.  I also only have listed what fits on one page, and what looks best, not a full vita.

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Nov 14, 2006, 02:03 am »
I disagree about the date.

I don't think you should include the date for the follow reasons.

1) Is it extra information that will crowd the resume.  There is no way I could do another column with the date.
2) Early in your career, it can hurt you . . . they can easily see you only have two to three years experience on your resume by looking at the dates.
3) It can be used to figure out your age (oh, he was in college in 1988, that makes him . . .) and can lead to age issues, which is a tricky legal issue.

If people are interested in when you worked at the company, they will ask.
If you list your stuff in chornological order, they will see you were asked back to a company.

I just think the year is NOT industry standard.  What is important is that you did the show, where you did and who the director was.

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

Scott

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Nov 14, 2006, 06:18 am »
I just think the year is NOT industry standard.

I agree re: the year.

nmno

« Reply #7 on: Nov 14, 2006, 09:40 am »

3) It can be used to figure out your age (oh, he was in college in 1988, that makes him . . .) and can lead to age issues, which is a tricky legal issue.
I just think the year is NOT industry standard.  What is important is that you did the show, where you did and who the director was.

I agree that it may not be the standard (and I think that from what we've seen, there are a lot of different ways to do a resume) but the last time I re-did my resume, I sent it to a few people in charge of hiring to comment, and most said I should add the years.  However, I don't list my shows chronologically; I group them by position (stage manager... asm...).  By listing the date, they see the progression of my career, they see that I go back and forth between PSM and ASM, etc.

I'm also curious about your concern about age discrimination.  I don't think I've ever seen it be an issue in stage management hiring.  The only way I could see is being too YOUNG, but even then, your limited professional credits are probably going to tip that off anyway.  Frankly, when I see a resume without graduation year date, it makes me wonder what they're hiding (did they graduate at all?)  And more frankly, I've seen a bigger factor in sex, which is usually tipped off by your name.

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Nov 14, 2006, 12:27 pm »
I'm also curious about your concern about age discrimination.  I don't think I've ever seen it be an issue in stage management hiring.  The only way I could see is being too YOUNG, but even then, your limited professional credits are probably going to tip that off anyway.

Yes, being too young is a form of age description.
The dates can also show you started stage management late in you life. 
The dates can show you are only doing SM part time (which you may have not read well on your resume).

Then on the flip side, there will be a point when theaters may want are looking for someone younger. 

Now, since you are grouping shows by position, then I can slightly see the advantage by adding years, but again - after looking at 100 resumes a year, I find very few professional resumes with dates on it.

smejs

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA, SMA, USITT
  • Current Gig: Freelance SM in Denver
« Reply #9 on: Nov 14, 2006, 07:31 pm »
I don't put dates in the resume, but I do often mention them in the cover letter.  "Last summer I...", or "I spent 2 seasons as the Production Stage Manager for...", etc.  And I have my BFA graduation date on the resume, so they can always do the math as to my age (at least whatever's the youngest I could be, and yes, I did it the standard 4 years right after high school). 

Erin

Jessie_K

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Nov 14, 2006, 08:45 pm »
I like to have dates.  I have had several jobs that have lasted several years.  I think that having dates to show that is important.  (For example I toured with one dance company for 3 years, without dates you might think I was with them for only one month.)

Scott (formerly Digga)

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • Scott Pomerico
  • Affiliations: Actors Equity Association, Stage Manager's Association, Alpha Psi Omega
  • Current Gig: TheaterWorks Hartford
« Reply #11 on: Nov 14, 2006, 08:59 pm »
Mine is pretty simple

Position      Show         Theatre

I've got the director also listed on my website resume but not currently on my Word document.  I probably should rework it so that I can get the director onto the page as well.  But I do agree about not including the dates.  It's not really necessary.  If the interviewer wants to know when I did something, they can ask.

HollywoodH

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
« Reply #12 on: Nov 17, 2006, 05:32 pm »
I have dates in mine. However I've been thinking about changing that. It's been nice to read everyones thoughts on this. I like Erin's idea of saying in the cover letter last summer I....
mine is formatted

Company w/ year(s)
Show     Position     Director

Jessie_K

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Nov 24, 2006, 01:27 pm »
So, partially inspired by this thread and partially inspired by my new job, I have revamped my resume.  I rearranged my categories and switched from a "month and year" date to just "year"

So now the headings are:

Theatre

Title of Play     Company                      Position           Director                                          Year(s)       

Dance

Company         Title of Piece or Tour      Position           Artistic Director or Choreographer       Year(s)

I still maintain that years are important to include.  I have had several long term jobs/ tours and the best way I have of indicating that is to include the years.

For dance tours I don't include the titles of each piece because often the rep was more than 15 pieces, so I just put the title of the tour.

ljh007

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: SMA
« Reply #14 on: Nov 28, 2006, 01:30 pm »
THIS THREAD HAS BEEN SPLIT INTO A NEW TOPIC in the Employment Forum: "Hiring and references"

The conversation had taken a clear turn away from resume format (and indicating years/dates) and became a great discussion about references and contacts. You can keep the conversation about resume format and the pros and cons of including dates on your resume here. To join the discussion about references and how hirers contact people, go to the "Hiring and references" thread. Cheers!

Your moderator,
ljh007
« Last Edit: Jan 10, 2007, 08:42 pm by ljh007 »