Author Topic: resume format  (Read 95487 times)

violet

• Tourist
    • View Profile
Re: resume format
« Reply #45 on: Jul 16, 2009, 07:26 pm »
Hi everyone!  Question for you all...

I  consider myself a stage manager and general technician.  I am recently out of school and am currently working my first long-term contract at a theatre (3 shows: 2 as crew, 1 as ASM).  I want to send out my resume to theatres in anticipation of the end of my contract.  I would be open to either SM or crew work.  When not applying for a particular position, how would you suggest I format my resume?  Does it harm my image to present myself this way?  Should I concentrate on stage management (as some people have told me I should)?

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!
Thanks,
-V

sievep

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AGMA
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #46 on: Jul 16, 2009, 07:37 pm »

I  consider myself a stage manager and general technician.  I am recently out of school and am currently working my first long-term contract at a theatre (3 shows: 2 as crew, 1 as ASM).  I want to send out my resume to theatres in anticipation of the end of my contract.  I would be open to either SM or crew work.  When not applying for a particular position, how would you suggest I format my resume?  Does it harm my image to present myself this way?  Should I concentrate on stage management (as some people have told me I should)?

Thanks,
-V

As a suggestion, you might want to view the resumes in the resume viewer here on the website or the resumes currently posted to the Chats Board for ideas on how to format your resume.
"This lovely light, it lights not me" - Orson Welles

bethanyb5

• New to Town
    • View Profile
    • Bethany Briggs
  • Affiliations: SMA
« Reply #47 on: Jul 16, 2009, 09:38 pm »

Thanks,
-V

I would suggest 2 resumes each highlighting one thing while still including the other.

I also have a question myself.
I have a short run I am working on in August and I plan to be sending out my resume for stuff so I can get something lined up for after that. Should I include that gig? or leave it out until I have actually done it?

Bwoodbury

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
    • bridgetwoodbury.com
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance SM
« Reply #48 on: Jul 17, 2009, 12:34 am »
I think you should use the show, but include that it's upcoming.

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
« Reply #49 on: Jul 17, 2009, 01:07 am »
I also have a question myself.
I have a short run I am working on in August and I plan to be sending out my resume for stuff so I can get something lined up for after that. Should I include that gig? or leave it out until I have actually done it?

If you look at my resume, you will see that I include shows I am contracted for, but have not done . . . I denote the date.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

quinsacious

• Tourist
    • View Profile
Re: more about resumes
« Reply #50 on: Oct 14, 2009, 07:23 pm »
On my resume

it's

Show Title      Director     Position    Theatre

Attached is the PDF version of my current resume (which lists all shows currently contracted thru the end of the season . . . it's not perfect . . . as I have some blanks for some info coming up . . . but I have not sent out a resume in two years . . . I don't expect to send one in awhile.)

Hope this helps.

What program do you use for your resume?

TechGal

• Contributor
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: IATSE
« Reply #51 on: Nov 09, 2009, 01:06 am »
I have a couple questions I'd like some input on.

1) Do you guys favor organizing your resumes by the positions you've held, or the level/type of company that you've worked for?  For example, currently the shows listed on my resume are organized under the headings of STAGE MANAGEMENT, ELECTRICS, and RELATED.  However I'm considering changing it to things such as  PROFESSIONAL, TOURING, CORPORATE, REGIONAL, COLLEGIATE, and COMMUNITY.   Does one format come across as more professional or stand out better?

2) Currently I am stage managing an outreach touring children's opera that is produced by a university.  I am not and have never been a student at this school.  I was hired as an independent contractor. How would you recommend I list this show on my resume in a way that indicates I'm not a student stage manager?

Thanks! 

PSMKay

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.smnetwork.org
  • Affiliations: None.
  • Current Gig: SMNetwork *is* my production.
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #52 on: Nov 09, 2009, 01:22 am »
TechGal, I would say the organization would depend on what you are interviewing for.  It's been touched on briefly in here on page 2 of this thread, but it deserves repeating again - tailoring your resume when you're seeking a specific position is definitely a big help!  I would say, make it modular.  Put together a series of "clusters" of work - either by venue type or by position.  If you're shopping jobs where diversity of skills is a plus, then use the "position" modules, with the module for the job you're actually shopping on top.

So, if you're shopping an LX position, your LD/ME stuff is on top.  If you're shopping Corporate floor management, then either corporate work goes on top or floor management work goes on top, depending on who will be viewing your res.  If you don't know or you're cattle calling, then sort it by whatever you feel makes the best impression.  In this market research is critical.  Know the company you're shopping for jobs.  Know the preferences of the hiring folks if you can.  Thank them afterwards.  A good stage manager will generally exhibit versatility.  A modular, customizable resume is merely an extension of this strength.

As for your current gig, if it's an AGMA gig then a union mention should cover any confusion.  If not, then Stage Manager (Independent Contractor) is simple and clear.

Maribeth

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
« Reply #53 on: Nov 09, 2009, 01:45 am »
I only put stage management credits on my SM resume- I think it helps to show where my focus lies. (I also do some scenic painting). If it were me, I would put the electrics credits on a separate resume, or put them into a section of my resume that included related experience.

My resume is sectioned into "Stage Manager", "Assistant Stage Manager", "Education", "Related Skills and Experience" and "References". Currently I have shows from when I was an apprentice under "Education". I feel that this is the best way to show what my experiences are and in what positions. However, it might be different for you. I don't have my (very limited) touring experience separated, but if I had more of it, maybe I would. My work in events I have under "Related Skills and Experience".

What on your resume would you like to showcase? I personally think that it might be more confusing to have more than a few headings- organize it based on what you're using it for.

As for your tour/opera experience, is it being produced by a company with a name that is separate from the university? Or is it being produced by a department at the university? If it has a separate company name I would just list it under then company's name and not mention the university. If there's no way to list it as such, you may want to describe the nature of this experience in your cover letter.

TechGal

• Contributor
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: IATSE
« Reply #54 on: Nov 14, 2009, 10:48 pm »
Thanks for all the suggestions guys.  I'm always interested in hearing about how other people organize their resumes. Much like we all have different styles as stage managers, I don't think there is only one way to do a resume- though there are probably many wrong ones.  :)    Resumes seem to be constant works in progress and recently I've been experimenting with the formatting on mine.  I do have separate resumes for my sm and electrics work as some of you have suggested.  Both contain most of the same stuff just organized differently to highlight certain things.  PSMKay, I like your great point about modular, customizable resumes being good examples of versatility. I hadn't quite thought about it that way before. 

EFMcMullen

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Nov 15, 2009, 07:36 am »
For those of you who are union, AEA specifically, do you specify which contract different productions are under?  Or do you let the theatre speak for itself and list knowledge of contracts under "Additional Information"?

Rebbe

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Nov 15, 2009, 08:42 am »
For those of you who are union, AEA specifically, do you specify which contract different productions are under?  Or do you let the theatre speak for itself and list knowledge of contracts under "Additional Information"?

Yes, at the moment I have sections for SPT, TYA, LORT, Non-Equity, and Events.  Within those sections I have columns for show name, my position, theater company, and director (except for events which are event name/my position/venue).  If I’m applying for work under a specific type of contract, I’ll usually move that section to the top of my resume.  I don’t think I’d put the contracts under a separate Additional Information heading, I’d rather save that space for actual credits.  You can always touch on specific contract types in your cover letter and the interview. 
"...allow me to explain about the theatre business. The natural condition is one of insurmountable obstacles on the road to imminent disaster."  (Philip Henslowe, Shakespeare In Love)

Aerial

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: The Winter's Tale, Gamm Theatre
« Reply #57 on: Nov 15, 2009, 06:06 pm »

I tend to work at the same theatres frequently, so the main headings in my resume are the theatre's name, with the equity contract that I've worked there in parentheses.  The info underneath each theatre is organized into three columns: show, my position, director.

katelynn.cooper

• Tourist
    • View Profile
  • Experience: College/Graduate
« Reply #58 on: May 28, 2010, 11:04 pm »
Hello SMs!

I am a student stage manager and I am trying to spruce up my resume. Would anyone like to take a look at it? I need a fresh eye!

EDIT: resume removed until private contact info is removed
« Last Edit: Oct 16, 2010, 11:57 am by loebtmc »

west6thhaze

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Nov 12, 2010, 12:59 am »
Hi all,

I have a question, as my graduate committee keeps flip-flopping how they want me to format my resume...EVERY SEMESTER....

Currently I list each credit in the following order: Show Title / Producing Company (and City) / Director. 

My question is this: How do you differentiate productions that are premieres (world premieres, US premieres, NYC premieres), and how do you list playwrights that you've worked with?

I have been fortunate to have been able to work on a number of premieres through the past few years, some of which were penned by notable playwrights.  And, even more fortunate, I happen to have remained in very good graces with the playwrights I've worked with.  I do want to include all of this information but it doesn't fit neatly in my columns, and if I try to footnote then the list of playwrights/premieres just looks clunky. 

For instance, at the end of my list of credits I have this bulky chunk of information to be deciphered:

# World Premiere; Playwright involved with production.
+ US Premiere; Playwright involved with production.
* Playwright involved with production.
% Prompt Book submitted to The New York Public Library, NYC.

I am glad that I finally have some of this information in my resume, I'm just not happy how it looks. 

Do you have any suggestions??
Ryan

riotous