Author Topic: Remy Bumppo Theatre in Chicago  (Read 3636 times)

BLee

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
    • BrandyLee Hatcher, SM
  • Affiliations: University of California-Irvine, Graduate SM, Class of '13
  • Current Gig: Assistant Stage Manager at Disneyland Resorts
  • Experience: College/Graduate
Remy Bumppo Theatre in Chicago
« on: Nov 12, 2009, 09:55 pm »
I have been called to have a phone interview with a company called Remy Bumppo in Chicago, IL. The reviews are great about the productions, but I don't know much about the inner workings of the company.

Has any worked for them before?
XX. The only valid excuse for missing one's cue is death.
-Proverb from the Techie Bible.

PSMKay

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.smnetwork.org
  • Affiliations: None.
  • Current Gig: SMNetwork *is* my production.
  • Experience: Former SM
Re: Remy Bumppo Theatre in Chicago
« Reply #1 on: Nov 12, 2009, 11:21 pm »
I have not worked for them but I can tell you a few things.  In a city where another new theatre company springs up daily, and as many close down, Remy Bumppo has survived since 1996 and their seasons have grown each year.  That's saying something about their production quality and their structure.  I have worked with their current PM, although it was many years ago, and she was an absolute sweetheart and extremely organized.  She comes from SM so she definitely "gets it."  They rake in the Jeff nominations (Chicagoland theatre awards circuit) but have only actually won one.  They have a consistent performance space which puts them head and shoulders above the majority of Chicago companies, which are transient from show to show.

Hope this helps!

thankyou5

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Experience: Professional
Re: Remy Bumppo Theatre in Chicago
« Reply #2 on: Nov 13, 2009, 12:24 am »
I as well have not worked for Remy Bumppo, but they are a great company.  What I remember from a few years back is that they were very nice.  I used to SM in the same theatre complex and remember them having the same SM for most of their shows.  They have their own rehearsal space which is a huge plus, they work with a lot of the great Chicago actors and their performance space is pretty decent.  It's definitely a company I would want to work for if I was still in Chicago.

Good luck!

riotous