Author Topic: Internships. How to Proceed from the West End.  (Read 2147 times)

mnsalz91

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Ithaca College
  • Current Gig: Gianni Schicchi @ Ithaca College
  • Experience: College/Graduate
Internships. How to Proceed from the West End.
« on: Nov 02, 2011, 07:56 pm »
Hello. 

I'm an American SM student doing a Work Placement, or Internship, with stage management at Wicked on the West End.  I'll be going back to the states in 5 weeks and I'm looking for summer internships.  I'm a little stuck as to where to go next.  Can anybody help me with ideas of places to apply?  I live in New York, without a car but I can travel anywhere.

Thanks!

- Miriam

bex

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
  • Affiliations: AEA, Auburn University
  • Current Gig: Freelance SM/ASM
  • Experience: Professional
Re: Internships. How to Proceed from the West End.
« Reply #1 on: Nov 03, 2011, 11:05 pm »
Something that's always worked out well for me is to go through the websites of all of the major theatre conferences- SETC, UPTA, USITT, etc, and find the list of companies in attendance. Sometimes it just lists who is going to be there, sometimes it's as detailed as what positions they are interviewing for at the conference.  Make a list of companies you're interested in and research them online, then send them your application- you don't get a face-to-face interview like you would at the conference, but most of them accept email/hard copy applications.

Also, it's pretty early for the hiring process to start for most summer companies, so a lot of them may not have updated hiring/application information on their websites yet.
You will have to sing for your supper & your mortgage, your dental coverage & your children's shoes, over & over again while people in desk jobs roll their eyes the minute you start to complain. So it's a good thing you like to sing.

riotous