Author Topic: References from the same organization??  (Read 3752 times)

ScooterSM

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: SMA
  • Experience: Professional
References from the same organization??
« on: Sep 07, 2007, 04:45 pm »
Thank you in advance for any insight that anyone can give to this.

I have been lucky enough to have done resident work for most of my career, meaning that I have been at theatres for 3-7 years.  I frequently work with the same directors/designers/production staff. 

My question is when listing references, is it ok to list 3 people from the same organization?  I feel like the longer I have worked, the more I have learned, and therefore have become a better SM, and someone that I worked with 3 years ago has a different idea of my skills than someone I worked with 3 weeks ago.  I am concerned with listing people from the same place (especially for any of the work I have done as a staff member of a University), because I feel like it doesn't show enough variety and makes me look less professional.

Would anyone be able to offer some advice on this?  It is not an urgent issue, but as I do occasionally send out resumes, it would be very helpful.

Thank you!!

SSM
“I've never been paid a lot, but the theatre has kept me, and for that I shall be eternally grateful.” Tony Church

VSM

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vernonwillet.com
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: PSM - Laguna Playhouse
Re: References from the same organization??
« Reply #1 on: Sep 08, 2007, 01:19 pm »
Are they all resident designers at the same company?

If not, and if some freelance, I think that you could simply not associate them with that particular company. That way, you reap the rewards of including all three and it doesn't look like they're all from the same place...?
Ordo ab chao

ScooterSM

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: SMA
Re: References from the same organization??
« Reply #2 on: Sep 10, 2007, 05:26 pm »
That's a good way to handle it.  Thank you!!
“I've never been paid a lot, but the theatre has kept me, and for that I shall be eternally grateful.” Tony Church