Author Topic: Reference changing jobs  (Read 3259 times)

Beatr79

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
Reference changing jobs
« on: Aug 30, 2007, 03:36 pm »
I know we've hit the topic of references before, but here's a situation that I don't think we've discussed:

One of my major references (a Production Manager from a theatre I've worked at numerous times) has accepted a new position in another arts organization.  The new position is NOT at a theatre.

Should I list his position as Former PM at the theatre we worked at?  Or list his new title and position?  Does it really matter?  I've always liked that a prospective employer can see the link between the shows I've done at Theatre X and the references.  But then again, the new position has broader name recognition in NY.  But since I've never worked at the new place, I don't want to puzzle anyone, make them scratch their head and think there is something shady about my work history.

Of course, I have also asked for the reference's permission to potentially list the new title.  I'd appreciate anyone's advice on this.

Away from my specific situation, I would love to know what do you do when a reference moves on from a position where you were linked.  And those of you in hiring positions: how valuable is the position/title of the references when you look at a resume?  I generally try to have a mix of positions - one PM, one SM, one director, so they know I get along with all sorts of people.

Mac Calder

• Forum Moderators
  • Plan for the future, live for the now
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Live Performance Australia / Media Arts and Entertainment Alliance
  • Current Gig: Technical Director
  • Experience: Former SM
Re: Reference changing jobs
« Reply #1 on: Aug 30, 2007, 06:06 pm »
I would always list the position that I worked with them in - if it has changed "Former ...." then "Currently ..." on the next line.

Beatr79

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
Re: Reference changing jobs
« Reply #2 on: Aug 31, 2007, 01:23 pm »
Great idea!

(wondering why I couldn't think of such a concise and simple solution myself)

riotous