Author Topic: Quotes for SMing Events  (Read 5818 times)

CARo

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: MFA Playwright Festival
  • Experience: Professional
Quotes for SMing Events
« on: Nov 30, 2015, 01:25 pm »
Hi!
I was wondering if you guys can help me figure out what do people do in the following case. I've been approached to SM an event and they are asking me to send them my quote.
I usually SM showcases and College Dept productions and the payment ranges from $500-2000, So I'm not exactly sure what to charge for a day. This is the description they sent me:

- Includes load in and set up for Main Stage in time for 2 pm sound checks & rehearsals, 6:30 dinner break and 7:45 room opens / live band until 11 pm; then breakdown (7am to Midnight)
- Will provide two PA's as ASM and two PA's as runners during program
one in person production meeting prior to event as well as customary email and phone contact as needed
- A stipend is provided for the Stage Manager position

Any info regarding your experience would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!!!

SMMeade

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Current Gig: Asst. Company Manager, HVSF
Re: Quotes for SMing Events
« Reply #1 on: Dec 01, 2015, 02:24 am »
I would figure out what you're comfortable being paid hourly, then add it up. I usually do $15-25 per hour for events depending on what they want me to do. My market is also NYC, so the local rate may vary a bit, but shouldn't be too much difference. 
« Last Edit: Dec 01, 2015, 02:26 am by SMMeade »

KMC

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Project Manager, Systems Integration
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #2 on: Dec 01, 2015, 02:40 am »
In general terms I think it is a good idea for you to establish a fixed day rate that you can use to easily respond to this kind of inquiry.  Settling on the number can be tricky, it requires a somewhat objective judgement of what your skills are, your level of experience, and what your time is worth.  You don't want to price yourself out of gigs, but you don't want to leave money on the table.

In a professional environment, something to consider is what are you overhead/social costs.  A good rule of thumb IMO is to add 25-30% to your determined hourly rate for social costs (taxes, healthcare, etc.), then use that as your fixed day rate.  I also encourage you to base your day rate off of a 10hr/day, as day-rate work is almost never a flat 8 hours.  If you base your rate off of an 8hr day you're likely to wind up working an hour or two for free most days.

If you are going with $25/hr (arbitrary, taken from SMMeade's post - you will need to determine where to benchmark your hourly rate) then I'd say something like:

$25/hr * 10hr = $250
*30% Social = $75
Flat 10 hr rate = $325/hr

I'd recommend including these lines on your quote as well:
After 10hr mark, hourly rate of XXX applies (you need to determine that as well).
Travel expenses at cost + 10% administrative (save your receipts).

Also think about your payment terms, suggest those on your quote. 

If you trust them, maybe you do 100% NET 10 (100% of payment is due within 10 days of invoice following event).
If you don't trust them, don't think they have the money, etc.. maybe you suggest 50% deposit, 50% NET 10 (50% of payment due before event, 50% within 10 days from invoice) - most companies won't agree to this but it is something to consider if they seem less than reputable.
« Last Edit: Dec 01, 2015, 02:44 am by KMC »
Get action. Do things; be sane; don’t fritter away your time; create, act, take a place wherever you are and be somebody; get action. -T. Roosevelt

megf

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Current Gig: Former SM
« Reply #3 on: Dec 01, 2015, 07:41 am »
Looking at your original post, here are some additional questions I'd ask:

-Who is responsible for the safe breakdown and load out? Will you be accountable for packing/supervising pack-out of gear, and for loading any trucks or other vehicles? If yes, bump your rate up.

-Is dinner catered? With 4 people supporting you, will you be able to have a meal break right before doors open?

-What do they consider "customary email and phone communication"? How deeply are you involved in the planning phase?