Author Topic: Program Bios  (Read 16956 times)

bpaige

• New to Town
    • View Profile
    • Website
  • Affiliations: EMC for AEA
  • Current Gig: Freelance
  • Experience: Professional
Program Bios
« on: Apr 17, 2012, 11:32 am »
I was looking around the site and could not find any information on what to include for a program bio. Perhaps people would be willing to share what bios they have used in programs before?

For some background, I'm going to be the SM for the first time out of college and I'm wondering how to best summarize myself in 80 words or less. Do I include that I will have just graduated May 2012? Should I include past work in college or only professional past worK?

I found this website helpful but it's not exactly what I'm looking for. http://upstagereview.org/ActingArticles/SAMPLE%20BIO.pdf

SMrose

• Permanent Resident
  • all the world's a stage
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, IATSE
  • Current Gig: Technical Support Services @ Lenoir-Rhyne University
  • Experience: Former SM
Re: Program Bios
« Reply #1 on: Apr 17, 2012, 12:09 pm »
I include what I want the audience to know about my work in theatre.  For me, it includes the name of the college I got my degree from (and type of degree "BA Theatre Arts"), productions that show a cross section of genres (I try to use favorite ones I've done), union affiliations and where I currently work (if not freelancing).  Hope this is helpful.
I think the samples you found exhibit what I've seen printed  in most programs.

Maribeth

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #2 on: Apr 17, 2012, 12:23 pm »
You could talk to the organization you're working for about what format they prefer. Some theatres have specific preferences about format and style regarding bios. (For instance, some places prefer just a no-nonsense list of shows, or a more narrative format structured in full sentences). Take a look at an old program from this company.

Here's an example bio format-

Maribeth (Stage Manager) is happy to be returning to X Theatre, where her previous productions include Show A, Show B, and Show C. Other regional credits include Show D at  Y Theatre, and Shows E, F, and G at Z Theatre. She is a graduate of ____ University.

You only get so many words- choose the shows that you want to use to express your experience. If you only have college experience, include it. If you have professional experience, I would include that first. As you get more experience, phase out the college shows. I like to include my alma mater but don't include my graduation date.

missliz

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
    • Personal Site
« Reply #3 on: Apr 17, 2012, 08:32 pm »
I keep mine pretty simple: most recent (recognizable) credit, other favorite/well-known credits, and union membership.
I personally would like to bring a tortoise onto the stage, turn it into a racehorse, then into a hat, a song, a dragon and a fountain of water. One can dare anything in the theatre and it is the place where one dares the least. -Ionesco

bpaige

• New to Town
    • View Profile
    • Website
  • Affiliations: EMC for AEA
  • Current Gig: Freelance
« Reply #4 on: Apr 18, 2012, 08:07 pm »
Thanks for all the suggestions! I think I will be providing them with a more fun one (saying how happy I am to work with the theatre for the first time) and another more 'serious' one with just show credits. I'll let them know my preference but they can choose whichever one is more appropriate.

I keep asking them so many questions I'd rather give them more than what they need. Haha.

ejsmith3130

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: EMC
  • Current Gig: Coordinating a Move to Napaskiak AK- Harder than any show I've ever done!
« Reply #5 on: Jan 30, 2013, 07:31 pm »
Here's an example bio format-

Maribeth (Stage Manager) is happy to be returning to X Theatre, where her previous productions include Show A, Show B, and Show C. Other regional credits include Show D at  Y Theatre, and Shows E, F, and G at Z Theatre. She is a graduate of ____ University.

I just wanted to re-iterate how much I love this resource. I just had a mini panic attack when I read my e-mail saying I had to submit a Bio for the program ASAP. Mind you at a theatre I've worked at before that didn't require a bio. Then I took a breath and searched for "Stage manager Bio" on the forums and alas... copy, paste, fill in the blanks, and breathe again.

Thanks guys.  :D

Dancebnd9

• Tourist
    • View Profile
  • Experience: Community Theatre
« Reply #6 on: Jan 17, 2016, 07:03 pm »
This is a huge help!! I was going crazy writing drafts for mine.  Thank you!

tonyedgabe

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Freelance SM and Tech
« Reply #7 on: Jan 19, 2016, 01:59 pm »
Short, sweet and to the point make for my favorite bios to read when I see a show. If I am more curious about the person, I'll look them up on the interwebs when I get home, (see also the forum concerning the importance of online presence.) That said I usually say a quick blurb of how happy I am to work at the theatre producing the show, and another recent credit if I enjoyed working at the previous place because that could get that other theatre some exposure to someone who may not have heard of them before.