Author Topic: Pictures  (Read 14497 times)

BeccaTheSM

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
    • Becca Pickett
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Experience: Professional
Pictures
« on: Feb 28, 2011, 05:13 pm »
So lately I've been seeing a lot of companies asking for a photo in accompaniment to a resume/application, usually just prior to an interview, but sometimes with the initial application.

My question is, how professional should this picture be? Should it be almost like an actor's head shot, or is a casual picture that is nice and clean enough?

Also, is it just really weird that they are asking at all?

Thanks for any input.
Art, in itself, is an attempt to bring order out of chaos. - Stephen Sondheim

RuthNY

• BTDT Editors
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA Eastern Region Stage Manager Councilor
  • Current Gig: ALABASTER
Re: Pictures
« Reply #1 on: Feb 28, 2011, 06:25 pm »
I would actually just ignore that request, without even referring to it.  What you look like, should have no bearing on whether they choose to interview you or not. And if they want to preview your age and/or race, that sounds illegal anyway.

So lately I've been seeing a lot of companies asking for a photo in accompaniment to a resume/application, usually just prior to an interview, but sometimes with the initial application.

My question is, how professional should this picture be? Should it be almost like an actor's head shot, or is a casual picture that is nice and clean enough?

Also, is it just really weird that they are asking at all?

Thanks for any input.
"Be fair with others, but then keep after them until they're fair with you."
--Alan Alda

dallas10086

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Freelance PSM; currently Charlotte Squawks 12
« Reply #2 on: Feb 28, 2011, 09:03 pm »
I skip right over those jobs. Why do they need to know what their SM would look like? Never sits right with me.

TheSingingSM

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Alpha Psi Omega
  • Current Gig: Company Management Resident - Long Wharf Theatre
  • Experience: College/Graduate
« Reply #3 on: Feb 28, 2011, 09:20 pm »
SETC recently had (well, it still has) this partner website called "The Show Hub" where applicants for jobs are supposed to create a profile including resume and what have you. Apparently, it was so hiring companies could get a head start on their hiring process. Anyway, after I had filled out what I could, I got an email saying that my profile was incomplete because I didn't have a picture of myself. Luckily, I still have my old head shots when I was an actor (even if they're two years old); so I loaded one of those up. I found it pretty weird that they would have requested that, but I guess they wanted a face to go with the name. It also didn't help that all of the example profiles they sent out were all actors, and for someone who just recently switched from performance over to technical, it didn't help very much (in fact, the site seemed very actor-oriented). Thank God for great professors, otherwise I would have had the example they gave of "What NOT to do".

Amandanellb

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: EMC
  • Current Gig: Much Ado About Nothing and The Liar - PSM - Oklahoma Shakespeare in the Park
« Reply #4 on: Mar 01, 2011, 03:29 am »
In the Theatre where I do most of my work, our headshots go in the program right along with the actors. So, I could totally understand getting the pictures with the resumes so that they are on file. That would make it easier to get a jump start on the program.

dallas10086

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Freelance PSM; currently Charlotte Squawks 12
« Reply #5 on: Mar 01, 2011, 06:41 am »
In the Theatre where I do most of my work, our headshots go in the program right along with the actors. So, I could totally understand getting the pictures with the resumes so that they are on file. That would make it easier to get a jump start on the program.

If you were already hired then yes of course give them your picture to go in the program. That reasoning doesn't make as much sense when you're receiving resumes and applications.

SMLois

• New to Town
    • View Profile
    • Lois Backstage
  • Affiliations: CAEA
  • Current Gig: Stage Manager - The Drowsy Chaperone - Theatre Under the Stars
« Reply #6 on: Mar 01, 2011, 12:59 pm »
There are times that I have, by choice, sent a photo with my resume to help them put a face to my name, especially if I've met them, but not recently.  That said, I've heard the arguments on both sides and when I send out my next batch of resumes I am planning to NOT include a picture to see if that changes things in any way.

BeccaTheSM

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
    • Becca Pickett
« Reply #7 on: Mar 01, 2011, 02:26 pm »
SMLois, when you sent these out, what kind of quality were the pictures? Head shot-like or a good casual shot?
Art, in itself, is an attempt to bring order out of chaos. - Stephen Sondheim

ScooterSM

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: SMA
« Reply #8 on: Mar 01, 2011, 05:58 pm »
Although the request for a SM photo with an application is an odd one, if you do choose to send a photo it should be a professional looking shot and not just a snapshot.   (The question of whether they should or shouldn't ask for it is separate issue).
Although employers should not be judging you on your gender, age, race, etc. that may be apparent in your photo, they can judge based on the quality of the materials you send them, and a picture with someone obviously cropped out, or with a party in the background or something similar doesn't present a professional image.  It would be like sending someone a resume with hand written notes.  It is a good way to just have your stuff tossed instead of read.
“I've never been paid a lot, but the theatre has kept me, and for that I shall be eternally grateful.” Tony Church

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
« Reply #9 on: Mar 01, 2011, 07:24 pm »
And although headshots can be pricey, I did get me new headshots . . . for $50.00 at picture people . . . which gave me a professional look in no time, for very little money - and the cd was handed to me.

My little avatar is a small version of that headshot.

I think a stage manager should have one . . . often in regional theater, stage managers are included in house boards and programs - so nice to have a professional one rather then just a snap shot taken in the lobby.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

missliz

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
    • Personal Site
  • Affiliations: AEA
« Reply #10 on: Mar 01, 2011, 07:55 pm »
I was asked to get a headshot for a show I ran about a year ago, so I had a photographer-friend take one. (See my userpic.) I also have one that I have used for networking/job sites/etc...it's an outtake from a publicity shoot for another show that shows me sitting behind a desk with my script and smiling. (Yes, a candid rehearsal shot where I was happy!) I like it because it doesn't look like an actor headshot but is still a clear picture of me in my element.
I personally would like to bring a tortoise onto the stage, turn it into a racehorse, then into a hat, a song, a dragon and a fountain of water. One can dare anything in the theatre and it is the place where one dares the least. -Ionesco

SMLois

• New to Town
    • View Profile
    • Lois Backstage
  • Affiliations: CAEA
  • Current Gig: Stage Manager - The Drowsy Chaperone - Theatre Under the Stars
« Reply #11 on: Mar 01, 2011, 09:10 pm »
rpicket6 - It was the same photo as my avatar on here.  Similar to a headshot, but taken for free by a friend who happens to be good with a camera.  We met for coffee one afternoon and she shot a couple hundred pictures and then a week later gave me a disc with the best fifty or so, which I now have on my computer to use as I see fit. 

bex

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
  • Affiliations: AEA, Auburn University
  • Current Gig: Freelance SM/ASM
« Reply #12 on: Mar 02, 2011, 12:44 am »
I've had a couple of companies I've applied to ask for a headshot- some with the initial application and some once I'd been hired (for the program/lobby board).  My avatar is the picture I use for that, as well as for my user pic on LinkedIn, etc.  It was taken by a friend who, while by no means a professional photographer, is very good with a camera & had taken headshots for a couple actor-friends of mine.

I've done Job Contact at SETC & UPTA, and a lot of people that I interviewed with at these big conferences would ask if I minded if they took a photo of me- they interview upwards of 100 candidates over a couple of days and then have to go away to make further hiring decisions, and putting a face to the resume is helpful in the process.  Maybe these companies asking for photos with the application are doing the same thing- not to judge the candidate by appearance (although I think that subconsciously it's unavoidable...) but just to connect a face to the resume or voice on the phone.

I definitely wouldn't ignore the request- no matter their reason for asking for one, all it says to the potential employer is "I don't follow instructions well."
You will have to sing for your supper & your mortgage, your dental coverage & your children's shoes, over & over again while people in desk jobs roll their eyes the minute you start to complain. So it's a good thing you like to sing.

keithhight

• Tourist
    • View Profile
  • Experience: College/Graduate
« Reply #13 on: Apr 23, 2011, 08:57 pm »
i interview a lot of peoplle and forget who people are. also at auditions i take (my SM ) headshots of the actors who dont have pictures.
i would send them and then at the interview ask them

bemalk

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: PSM-Ocean Professional Theatre Company
« Reply #14 on: Jul 09, 2011, 10:01 am »
I recently applied for a applied for a position and got a response telling me I was qualified and asking for photo, even before an interview and they did not ask for a photo in their online listing.  Is this odd?  I've never experienced it before.
“Perhaps, therefore, ideal Stage Managers not only need to be calm and meticulous professionals who know their crafts, but masochists who feel pride in rising above impossible odds.”

riotous