Author Topic: Pictures  (Read 14481 times)

LCSM

• Permanent Resident
  • @LuciaCorak
    • View Profile
  • Experience: Professional
Re: Pictures
« Reply #15 on: Dec 23, 2012, 06:46 pm »
And although headshots can be pricey, I did get me new headshots . . . for $50.00 at picture people . . . which gave me a professional look in no time, for very little money - and the cd was handed to me.

My little avatar is a small version of that headshot.

This topic came up as I was searching for something else, and I had a really good laugh, considering your new avatar.

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
« Reply #16 on: Dec 23, 2012, 10:44 pm »
LCSM -

I look exactly like my current icon . . .

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

LCSM

• Permanent Resident
  • @LuciaCorak
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Dec 24, 2012, 03:35 pm »
You cut a dashing figure, Matthew.

jcarey

• New to Town
  • Stage Manager and Lifetime Student
    • View Profile
    • James D Carey on LinkedIn
  • Affiliations: UNCSA, USITT
  • Current Gig: BFA Stage Management, UNCSA
  • Experience: College/Graduate
« Reply #18 on: Dec 24, 2012, 05:38 pm »
LCSM -

I look exactly like my current icon . . .

Your nose is a different color than the rest of your face?
"A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."

- Douglas Adams

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
« Reply #19 on: Dec 24, 2012, 06:51 pm »
Yes, jcarey, and I am EXTREMELY SENSITIVE ABOUT IT.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

jcarey

• New to Town
  • Stage Manager and Lifetime Student
    • View Profile
    • James D Carey on LinkedIn
  • Affiliations: UNCSA, USITT
  • Current Gig: BFA Stage Management, UNCSA
  • Experience: College/Graduate
« Reply #20 on: Dec 25, 2012, 12:34 pm »

Duly noted. My apologies.
"A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."

- Douglas Adams

Jessie_K

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
    • International Stage Manager of Mystery
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA, SMA (on leave)
  • Current Gig: Queen of the Night
« Reply #21 on: Dec 25, 2012, 01:16 pm »

Won't you guide my sleigh tonight...

PSMKay

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.smnetwork.org
  • Affiliations: None.
  • Current Gig: SMNetwork *is* my production.
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #22 on: Dec 25, 2012, 01:31 pm »
Then one stormy matinee, the PM came to say: "Matthew with your nose so bright, won't you cue the rail tonight?"
Then how the deckhands loved him, as they whispered quietly, "Matthew the red-nosed SM, standing by for rail cue D!"

Cedes

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: EMC, SMA
  • Current Gig: PSM, Arizona Broadway Theatre
« Reply #23 on: Jan 11, 2013, 12:29 pm »
I skip right over those jobs. Why do they need to know what their SM would look like? Never sits right with me.

Ditto. Usually this means they have an issue with "image." They want all their people to look family friendly. Usually this leads to them hiring less-qualified people for the job. Scary. I've been in a situation like this.

Post Merge: Jan 11, 2013, 12:35 pm
I've had a couple of companies I've applied to ask for a headshot- some with the initial application and some once I'd been hired (for the program/lobby board).  My avatar is the picture I use for that, as well as for my user pic on LinkedIn, etc.  It was taken by a friend who, while by no means a professional photographer, is very good with a camera & had taken headshots for a couple actor-friends of mine.

I've done Job Contact at SETC & UPTA, and a lot of people that I interviewed with at these big conferences would ask if I minded if they took a photo of me- they interview upwards of 100 candidates over a couple of days and then have to go away to make further hiring decisions, and putting a face to the resume is helpful in the process.  Maybe these companies asking for photos with the application are doing the same thing- not to judge the candidate by appearance (although I think that subconsciously it's unavoidable...) but just to connect a face to the resume or voice on the phone.

I definitely wouldn't ignore the request- no matter their reason for asking for one, all it says to the potential employer is "I don't follow instructions well."

I agree with this. However, at conferences, they have already seen you when they ask for the picture. This doesn't usually sit well, with me if they ask before they even see you or talk to you. I agree, don't ignore the request, but do a little research on the company to make sure it is a place that will be good for you. Always do research, but maybe do a bit more than what you normally would.

I recently was looking into a company, and the hiring process was basically like applying online for Best Buy. They wanted to know hours I could work, and if I could adhere to a "code," aka, one piercing in each ear, natural colored hair, and even a "fit physique for work." If all of these could not be followed, they asked you stop applying at that point. This screamed to me that they cared more about the appearance of what their techs looked like rather than their quality of work.
« Last Edit: Jan 11, 2013, 12:35 pm by Cedes »