Author Topic: North Shore Music Theatre  (Read 6610 times)

MileHighSM

• Contributor
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
North Shore Music Theatre
« on: Jan 25, 2008, 07:37 pm »
Has anyone ever worked at North Shore Music Theatre in Beverly, MA?  What kind of experience did you have?

ScooterSM

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: SMA
  • Experience: Professional
Re: North Shore Music Theatre
« Reply #1 on: Jan 26, 2008, 01:25 am »
I have worked there, and I can say hands down it was the best company I have ever worked for.  I only worked on one show, but every person I dealt with was friendly, supportive, and helpful.  It was almost Twilight Zone good......  :) They have recently under gone significant management and staff changes, so I can't promise that it will still be that way but it is my understanding that it is.  Feel free to PM me if you want more info...

SSM
« Last Edit: Jan 26, 2008, 12:26 pm by ScooterSM »
“I've never been paid a lot, but the theatre has kept me, and for that I shall be eternally grateful.” Tony Church

zayit shachor

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
    • http://thankyouten.blogspot.com
« Reply #2 on: Jan 26, 2008, 05:24 am »
I've never worked there, but I live in the area and know many people who have (including one of the new management members that Scooter mentioned) - they all love it.

Jessie_K

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
    • International Stage Manager of Mystery
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA, SMA (on leave)
  • Current Gig: Queen of the Night
« Reply #3 on: Feb 15, 2008, 01:52 pm »
What AEA contract do they operate under?

Beatr79

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
« Reply #4 on: Feb 15, 2008, 10:13 pm »
Pretty sure its COST.  You can double-check through the Theatre Directory on the Equity website.

Jessie_K

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
    • International Stage Manager of Mystery
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA, SMA (on leave)
  • Current Gig: Queen of the Night
« Reply #5 on: Feb 16, 2008, 12:17 pm »
Pretty sure its COST.  You can double-check through the Theatre Directory on the Equity website.

Confirmed, it is COST.

theatrechic

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
« Reply #6 on: Feb 26, 2008, 11:25 pm »
Hey there.  I was an intern there a few years back.  I have to say that working for North Shore is wonderful.  They are very good to their staff members and they produce very high quality shows.  Doing theatre in the round is great as well.  As previously said, they have had a LOT of staff changes in the past year with the changing of their Artistic Director and Producer.  Their ASM is staying on tho and she is great.  Works hard and damn good at what she does. 

JMullane

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Mar 03, 2008, 07:04 pm »
I worked there for two seasons, as a PA and as a SM Intern, and it was a great experience. Their internships are especially worthwhile - you get a lot of responsibility and you get paid overtime - I never once felt as if I was being taken advantage of for cheap labor.

Also, the general attitude of everyone at the company was wonderful. I've worked at some companies since then that seem to have a high-stress way of dealing with things. Everyone at NSMT just seemed to have a healthy perspective.

With the major staff turnover and restructuring of departments that seems to be going on, I'd expect things to be in a state of flux for a little while. On the good side, it seemed like the restructuring was aimed at better handling their show overlaps (I believe they wanted to have 2 fulltime SMs instead of 1 Resident PSM, along with 2 Wardrobe Supervisors, effectively creating 2 teams who would work every other show).  I hope the plan works, though in my humble opinion we did a pretty good job with show overlaps with what we had before.  8)

And yes, I'm a big fan of their ASM!