Author Topic: Non-AEA Resume Semantics: Dishonesty or Acceptable?  (Read 9382 times)

Scott

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
Non-AEA Resume Semantics: Dishonesty or Acceptable?
« on: Mar 28, 2008, 05:37 pm »
For example, Non-AEA SM's who function as Production Assistants/Apprentices/Interns to Stage Managers in AEA theatres, and then put "Stage Manager" on their resumes to represent this work.

Completely unacceptable IMHO (unlesss perhaps if ASM billing had been negotiated due to the person's contribution to the production.)

Resume padding is foolish too -- this just came up in a production meeting in regards to a tenor, but applies equally to non-performers.  This business too small to escape detection for long -- almost every resume I receive has at least one name on it (or a venue/producer to easily leads to a name) that is at least a casual aquaintance.

(Edit: reuniting Scott's response with Ruth's original post, which relocated from the green room to Employment thread.  ~nmno)
« Last Edit: Mar 29, 2008, 11:44 am by nmno »

RuthNY

• BTDT Editors
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA Eastern Region Stage Manager Councilor
  • Current Gig: ALABASTER
  • Experience: Professional
Non-AEA Resume Semantics: Dishonesty or Acceptable?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 28, 2008, 05:38 pm »
I have just moved this out of the Resume Chat thread, as I would actually like to see it discussed here, rather than in Chat.

Here's the topic for discussion, brought about by the fact that I've been examining a lot of resumes myself lately:

Making a Non-AEA Resume look better than it really is.  Is it ethical/acceptable to disguise or pad credits on your resume?

For example, Non-AEA SM's who function as Production Assistants or Apprentices or Interns, to Stage Managers in AEA theatres, and then put "Stage Manager" on their resumes to represent this work.

I find it misleading, personally. If you represent yourself as having been a "Stage Manager" at an AEA theatre, I am going to assume you have your card and were the AEA SM/ASM.  I'd much rather see your credits reading SM
Apprentice (or Production Assistant or Intern) so I have a better understanding of your background. AND, I'm only interested in working with people who have represented their work histories truthfully.

So, is this dishonesty, or acceptable?

Discuss!
"Be fair with others, but then keep after them until they're fair with you."
--Alan Alda

sievep

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AGMA
Re: Non-AEA Resume Semantics: Dishonesty or Acceptable?
« Reply #2 on: Mar 28, 2008, 06:44 pm »
I don't think it's acceptable to lie on your resume.  The title one had during the production is the title one must put on their resume.

I do believe, however, that with the right formatting it is possible and ethical to pad your resume until you have a bit more experience.  And how?  I'll save that for chat.

Also, I don't think this affects just Equity folks . . .those of us in opera and dance can and do deal with these same issues.
"This lovely light, it lights not me" - Orson Welles

jenhen

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
« Reply #3 on: Mar 28, 2008, 06:55 pm »
I'm joined AEA this past year, so my resume still has my internship on it and some other non-Eq positions. 
For the internship, I acted as the ASM.  I was the only other person on the show for Stage Management.  So I list it as:

Stage Management Intern (ASM)

I want to convey that though it was an internship, I was filling the role of ASM and not just getting coffee or making tea for the director.

I think that this too is a great topic to cover in your cover letter.  You can explain that at this theater you were an intern but your duties included all of this ASM type stuff.  But of I agree that you shouldn't let it be so far misconstrued on your resume that you come off  as an AEA SM/ASM, which is why I wouldn't only list it as ASM.

KMC

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Project Manager, Systems Integration
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #4 on: Mar 28, 2008, 07:04 pm »
I think it's not only unacceptable, but foolish as well.  If you say you have a certain amount of experience, your employer is going to expect your work performance to reflect that.  If you lie on your resume not only do you risk getting fired if they find out, but you could be setting yourself up for failure by not being able to meet the expectations of the job.
« Last Edit: Mar 29, 2008, 01:03 am by kmc307 »
Get action. Do things; be sane; don’t fritter away your time; create, act, take a place wherever you are and be somebody; get action. -T. Roosevelt

johnmurdock

• New to Town
    • View Profile
    • John D Murdock, Stage Manager
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
« Reply #5 on: Mar 28, 2008, 09:16 pm »
On my resume, when i worked at a certain summer stock theatre that I know you are familiar with, I was instructed to list on my resume my credits as Stage Manager, because that is what i did.  I had never looked at it from the other side of the table. Never any intention to be dishonest here.
John Murdock
AEA Stage Manager
John@Johndmurdock.com
http://Http://www.johndmurdock.com

Trevor7

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Mar 29, 2008, 03:38 am »
What about non AEA houses that hire SM interns to Stage manage there shows?  Technically I was a SM intern for a theatre but that had me actually Stage manageing shows.  Can I put down that I was the SM on those shows even though I was an intern for the company?

stagegal1

• Contributor
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
« Reply #7 on: Mar 29, 2008, 03:44 am »
Once, when collecting resumes for an ASM opening, I received one that claimed they had been the PSM for a certain production.  I had been the PSM for that show, and they had been my ASM.  The producers were not impressed, and did not want to interview this person.

Bottom line, even if you are morally OK with it, you never know who may be looking at your resume.

zayit shachor

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
    • http://thankyouten.blogspot.com
« Reply #8 on: Mar 29, 2008, 02:29 pm »
What about non AEA houses that hire SM interns to Stage manage there shows?  Technically I was a SM intern for a theatre but that had me actually Stage manageing shows.  Can I put down that I was the SM on those shows even though I was an intern for the company?

I think that's okay.  I was in a similar situation - interning, but as part of that I legitimately stage managed one show and ASMed two.  I listed those shows and the jobs I did, and I also listed elsewhere that I had interned at this company.  What's important is that what you put on your resume is an accurate description of the job you did.

ScooterSM

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: SMA
« Reply #9 on: Mar 29, 2008, 02:30 pm »
There is a difference between lying or saying you did something that you didn't (which you should never ever, ever do because you will get caught) and putting a positive spin on what you have done.

For example:

If you were an intern/PA at a regional AEA theatre, but had the responsibilities of an ASM, list your title as it was noted in the program (which tends to be a higher classification than what you really are) and then (ASM) or (ASM responsibilities).

This is telling the truth about what you did on the show, but makes it appear better than if you just say "I was an intern..."

The same theory applies to special skills and education.  Don't lie, but find positive ways to sell yourself.

SSM
“I've never been paid a lot, but the theatre has kept me, and for that I shall be eternally grateful.” Tony Church

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
« Reply #10 on: Mar 29, 2008, 06:20 pm »
FYI, I find one "embellishment" on a resume, and I assume that entire resume is fabricated.

I have a show that I did at a major regional theatre, where I was technically a PA, but I fulfilled the ASM position (the two AEA Stage Managers took turns calling the show, I ran the deck.)  I list is as PA/ASM, which if there is any questions, they can ask.

Putting down non-equity ASM is perfectly acceptable, but putting ASM or SM as a credit at the AEA theatre when you are a non-equity ASM is just confusing . . . and points out something is note right - sending it up red flags.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

RuthNY

• BTDT Editors
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA Eastern Region Stage Manager Councilor
  • Current Gig: ALABASTER
« Reply #11 on: Mar 29, 2008, 10:01 pm »
Thanks.  It's good to know I'm not alone in my opinions.

FYI, I find one "embellishment" on a resume, and I assume that entire resume is fabricated.

I have a show that I did at a major regional theatre, where I was technically a PA, but I fulfilled the ASM position (the two AEA Stage Managers took turns calling the show, I ran the deck.)  I list is as PA/ASM, which if there is any questions, they can ask.

Putting down non-equity ASM is perfectly acceptable, but putting ASM or SM as a credit at the AEA theatre when you are a non-equity ASM is just confusing . . . and points out something is note right - sending it up red flags.
"Be fair with others, but then keep after them until they're fair with you."
--Alan Alda

riotous