Author Topic: moving to the other city PHL  (Read 5585 times)

prizm

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • http://www.mikear.com
  • Experience: Professional
moving to the other city PHL
« on: Mar 19, 2006, 03:10 am »
Ok so I am looking into moving to Philadelphia in late August. I am hoping to move in order to be closer to family as we all get older I realize I should be spending more time with them and that's hard to do from halfway across the country. I have Regional, NYC and Touring experience. But I am finding the market hard to break. I keep on looking on Theatre Alliance but see nothing I can take. Does anyone out there have any hints? Are there job listings somewhere I'm not looking or is the community that close?

stagebear

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
« Reply #1 on: Mar 21, 2006, 08:25 am »
philly's hard to break into. trust me - i just moved here last august.

DeeCap

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Mar 21, 2006, 10:48 am »
I agree that Philly is hard to break into.
The stage managers association is very active there; and they do have drink nights. The best advice I can give you is that you find out when the drink nights are and go there to network. The SMA website can give you the name to contact.
Good Luck!

prizm

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • http://www.mikear.com
« Reply #3 on: Mar 21, 2006, 11:28 am »
I am a SMA member so I will look into that, I knew they were active there which is one of the reasons I joined. There is only one member here in Alabama and thats me. So thanks for the help. I guess Ill have to wait till August then I was hoping there was something I could do before my contract was up here. If anyone else has suggestions let me know.

centaura

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Mar 21, 2006, 05:19 pm »
My main job reference sites are backstagejobs.com and ArtSEARCH.  backstagejobs.com has nation-wide coverage, though they do specialize in Chicago area as well.  Other than that, I've worked for a Philly based touring company, but they were the smallest of small-scale, and most of the folks who I knew there have moved on.

-Centaura

riotous