Author Topic: Summer Stock  (Read 3517 times)

little_owl

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Experience: College/Graduate
Summer Stock
« on: May 17, 2014, 02:20 pm »
I have a question concerning summer stock jobs. I decided to get into theatre a little later in life, getting my degree in theatre when I turned 32 and have been out of college for five years now and work in theatre and not sure if it's okay to apply for summer stock jobs really. I see how they are mostly for younger people and I did apply at one place and talked to someone there who knew that I had graduated five years before and that didn't seem to be an issue but I feel like it's frowned upon to get into summer stock in a way. And I regret not getting work in summer stock jobs before because they seem like a great place to learn more but at the time was working other jobs and now I'm at a point where I have my expenses pretty low and there are some summer stock jobs that pay generally well. Any help would be appreciated.

MandalynM

• New to Town
    • View Profile
    • My professional website
  • Affiliations: SETC
  • Current Gig: Production Stage Manager: Brecksville Theatre
  • Experience: Professional
Re: Summer Stock
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2014, 02:56 pm »
If you need the experience, apply! I am 31 and in graduate school doing our Summer Rep Series. Yes, I am a bit older than the undergrads, but the experience I am getting overshadows any age issues. Summer stock is a lot of fun and a lot of hard work. Do it now while your bills are low. Not to mention the contacts you will make!

Mandi

little_owl

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Experience: College/Graduate
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2014, 03:01 pm »
Thank you for responding.

I've been seeing so many jobs posted on offstagejobs with people having to fill positions at the last minute and some do mention how they are looking for younger people or just graduated people so I've been hesitant. But I do think it's something that I need to do and would love the experience before it gets to a point where I can't do something like this.

MandalynM

• New to Town
    • View Profile
    • My professional website
  • Affiliations: SETC
  • Current Gig: Production Stage Manager: Brecksville Theatre
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2014, 08:13 pm »
It sounds like you have the same level of experience that they are looking for. They mention age in some job posting to suggest experience (is what I notice). I say apply. You'll know after an interview if you fit in with the company.

Mandi

SMrose

• Permanent Resident
  • all the world's a stage
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, IATSE
  • Current Gig: Technical Support Services @ Lenoir-Rhyne University
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2014, 10:13 am »
I worked with a summer musical theatre company (non-stock) that consistently hired stage managers in their 30's and 40's.  There's no harm in applying.

riotous