Author Topic: low stipend what to do  (Read 7745 times)

mizi5620

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Experience: Professional
low stipend what to do
« on: Feb 25, 2019, 02:57 am »
I was recently offered an SM job for a 7 week contract. The stipend offered was $200-$500 and no housing. 

I would be commuting an hour for rehearsals so I asked about the possibility of a higher stipend. I just heard back that they cannot offer a higher stipend and that they couldn't hire me. I am unsure what to do.

If I offer to do the position for less then what I asked for I will lose money but since I have mostly worked for one company I am concerned with expanding my resume and am not currently booked for those weeks.

Does anyone have advice on if I should walk away from the opportunity or email back and say I can do it for less?

Tempest

• Permanent Resident
  • Learn to love chaos, then tame it.
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: The Center For Puppetry Arts
Re: low stipend what to do
« Reply #1 on: Feb 25, 2019, 09:02 am »
Unless it's a project you, personally, are SUPER passionate about, I'd walk away. Thank them politely for the job offer, but reiterate that you gave them your rate, and if they cannot meet your needs, you must regretfully decline. I've DONE that gig (probably not the exact one you're look at, but the hour commute and ridiculously low stipend), exactly for the reason you stated, and it's not worth it.
If you're looking to expand into other companies, ask the designers you enjoy working with where else they ply their trade, and enjoy working! I ended up in my current position thanks to a lighting designer I loved working with!
Jessica: "Of course I have a metric size 4 dinglehopper in my kit!  Who do you think I am?"

KMC

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Project Manager, Systems Integration
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #2 on: Feb 25, 2019, 10:53 am »
It is generally not advisable to lose money while working. 
Get action. Do things; be sane; don’t fritter away your time; create, act, take a place wherever you are and be somebody; get action. -T. Roosevelt

loebtmc

• View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SAG, AFTRA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Caroling, caroling now we go — and looking for my next gig!
« Reply #3 on: Feb 25, 2019, 03:40 pm »
The most important things have been said. However, if this is a passion project, see if you can negotiate compromise in other forms — housing and meals, for example, the kinds of things that make small stipends bearable if you really really love the play or the players.

VSM

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vernonwillet.com
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: PSM - Laguna Playhouse
« Reply #4 on: Mar 01, 2019, 01:10 pm »
Trust your instincts...
Ordo ab chao