Author Topic: Listing upcoming gigs on resume  (Read 16556 times)

nikkiec

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Experience: Professional
Listing upcoming gigs on resume
« on: Aug 08, 2006, 06:37 pm »
Okay, I have a resume question, but in a slightly different vein.  I'm currently working a Rep. Season which runs until late December, but I'm looking to start sending out resumes now for a job after this one.  My question is, should I put the names of the shows in the season on my resume (even though we haven't even rehearsed some of them yet) or should I include that in the cover letter ( I'm currently working at Theatre X, which is producing shows A, B, C, and D)? 
Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!  Thanks!
~nikki :)
Done and Done

jspeaker

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #1 on: Aug 08, 2006, 11:01 pm »
I do... I list shows that I have been hired for with a little note stating that they are upcoming.
Jess W. Speaker, III
Equity Stage Manager
DC Area AEA Liaison
(301) 335-1498

http://q5go.blogspot.com/

Mac Calder

• Forum Moderators
  • Plan for the future, live for the now
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Live Performance Australia / Media Arts and Entertainment Alliance
  • Current Gig: Technical Director
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #2 on: Aug 09, 2006, 12:07 am »
nikkiec - I would probably be far more inclined to include current work in the coverletter. If you are at the stage where you still date every show listed, then "2/6/06 -> current" or something of that sort is perfectly acceptable, however if you don't date them, then I would advise against it (as it implys you have finished working on that job).

ljh007

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: SMA
« Reply #3 on: Aug 09, 2006, 07:40 am »
I always list upcoming shows on my resume, with a prominent note that they are upcoming. If you have several gigs lined up, you can even create a new resume section for it ("Upcoming engagements" is standard language). Usually I don't mention upcoming engagements in my cover letter - I tend to spend so much more space talking about past achievements and skills. If your resume is getting full, you might have to drop off older or less impressive shows in order to list your upcoming ones. But if your career is moving forward, the upcoming shows are probably better & bigger than the old ones, so dropping those is no big deal. You could even emphasize that your experience is far too vast to present on a single sheet. ("Plays & Musicals" <smaller type:>  "Highlights - complete list available upon request") I'd rather see that and have your upcoming gigs presented prominently.

Rebbe

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Experience: Former SM
Re: Listing upcoming gigs on resume
« Reply #4 on: Aug 09, 2006, 10:17 pm »
I’ve always been told that it’s OK to put future shows on your resume if you have a firm agreement to do them.  I just list them as I would any other show; I can explain further in the interview if needed.   

If you have dates on your resume, it will be clear they are future projects.  I’ve also seen people use an asterisk or plus sign next to shows with a key at the bottom saying they are upcoming.  If you’re applying for jobs in the same area where you are currently working, I also wouldn’t worry much since many theaters know each others’ seasons, and so would know a show hasn't gone up.
"...allow me to explain about the theatre business. The natural condition is one of insurmountable obstacles on the road to imminent disaster."  (Philip Henslowe, Shakespeare In Love)

fuzzy_7

• Contributor
  • Hooray for Beer!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sep 19, 2006, 01:42 pm »
I agree with scoot, don't put it on your resume unless you're actually working on it at present. On the other hand I see no problem with you including it on your cover letter to let potential employers know that you will be working on said show in the future. Just my thoughts.
Derek A. Fuzzell

ljh007

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: SMA
« Reply #6 on: Sep 21, 2006, 08:05 am »
I disagree; I put upcoming shows on my resume as long as I have a fully signed contract for the show. Sometimes an SM is contracted one year or more in advance (common in larger theatres). The theatre is reserving your services for the time period of the contract, and to withhold this information while courting other jobs might lead you into a sticky situation. Actually, if SMing is all you do, it's ideal to book your shows at least 6 months in advance to keep your income steady. Yes, things change, shows are cancelled, dates are adjusted. But a signed contract means you're on board to do a show. Putting this on your resume shows you have a serious (and busy) career, and that you honor your obligations.

ORTaurean

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sep 21, 2006, 02:30 pm »
I also add upcoming shows based on a signed contract.  I had an oral agreement to complete a season with a company and the final show became inpossible for me, however, since I had not signed a contract for that particular show, it never made it to my resume.
I definately add a "(Upcoming)" next to the show's title though...As mentioned before, leaving it without the note implies that the project is done.  I don't want to give a false impression that I've had an experience when I have yet to experience it.
Acting is standing up naked and turning around very slowly.
-Rosiland Russell

Ran

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Oct 16, 2006, 04:21 am »
I believe that if you have future Jobs, (with a signed contract), I would put it on the C.V.

Part of it is to let the Company, to which you apply, Know when you are FREE. (or not).

Plus it is mainly good to show the same companies that have asked you to RETURN!
As it is being transltated as "He - she has done well with this company.

Dont put names of places that has not signed with you, (yet), as often people will check this information.

all the best,

Ran

riotous