Author Topic: When the job doesn't live up to your expectations...  (Read 3114 times)

Melissitchka

• New to Town
    • View Profile
    • brokeGIRLrich
  • Affiliations: SMA
  • Current Gig: SM/LD
  • Experience: Professional
Ok, I'm betting this topic may already exist, so I apologize if I'm irritating a mod, but I couldn't find it.

What do you do when your job doesn't live up to both your expectations and the description you were given of it? I could be looking at this from the wrong point of view, but I feel like if I were a potential employer, I wouldn't want to see someone who bounces around a lot (and I mean this more in reference to the larger, more commercial companies that tend to keep people for a while as opposed to the fantastic, but usually far poorer paying artistic or one off companies). How long do you feel you should commit to something that is just not a good fit before moving on? Both because I feel awkward explaining to potential employers about a short stint somewhere (currently about 7 months) and, as unhappy as I am with the job, I don't want to leave the group here in a difficult position.

I spent about 5 years out with a cruise line and left when I realized I was getting pretty "institutionalized." I wanted to try something new and stretch some SM muscles that hadn't been used in years. I was looking for an opportunity to grow. So I moved in an entirely new direction to work with the circus. Previously, I had run all of the entertainment venues, technicians, casts and guest entertainers on decent sized ship (2000+ passengers) in a role that was essentially a TD, PSM and Production Manager combined. And I enjoyed it. I was just warn down all the additional duties that come with ship life. After describing the extent of my responsibilities there to my new employer, they told me I was a good fit for the Associate Production Manager position here. However, 70% of my job is PR, which I was specifically told I'd have nothing to do with during my interviews. Another 25% is wandering around, being helpful to anyone I find needs a hand and trying to find ways to stay busy. The other 5% are actually Production Manager duties that I enjoy doing.

Is it acceptable when asked why you want to leave a job to tell the General Manager that you're bored out of your mind (which of course would not be the exact wording I'd use)? I was hoping to be challenged, but this job does not provide that. I also really, really hate PR. My previous job included occasional events, which was fine, but it being 70% of my job is sort of ridiculous to me. Especially without being told that coming in.   

Maybe I just needed to vent to some other like-minded individuals to get their take on it. My boyfriend also came over from ships to work here as a musician and loves it. He sort of brushes me off when I complain about the large pay cut and quadrupling of my hours. And, as I mentioned, despite all this disenchantment, I don't actually want to leave the people on the unit. They're a great group of people to work with, just the structure of this company is a little underwhelming. I also spent a long time trying to convince myself that maybe going from running things to being an assistant just requires some well deserved humbling.

I have no idea anymore really... has anyone else had a similar experience or run the same gamut of emotions?

Cruise Ship Livin' Perk: A Whole Lot of Travel Stories - http://worldsherpa.wordpress.com/

Jessie_K

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
    • International Stage Manager of Mystery
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA, SMA (on leave)
  • Current Gig: Queen of the Night
  • Experience: Professional
Re: When the job doesn't live up to your expectations...
« Reply #1 on: Jun 21, 2013, 11:07 pm »
I think it's good to get it off your chest sometimes.

I also think before you quit, have a conversation with your boss about the expectations you had/have and see if there are new ways to challenge you and shift some of your responsibility.  I recommend you brainstorm about how you would like things to change and present some ideas to him/her.

If his/her answer is no, then you know what you have to do.

Good luck!!

P.S. Sometimes work is work.  Even "dream jobs" can be downright painful at times.  Sometimes you need to weigh the costs and the benefits.  Personal life (boyfriend) vs. work life (boredom).  Which is more important to you now.