Author Topic: Job Offer: How Long to Make a Decision  (Read 4405 times)

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
  • Experience: Professional
Job Offer: How Long to Make a Decision
« on: Sep 04, 2013, 07:10 pm »
So, I am sitting on two different job offers; with conflicting dates . . . how long do people feel is an acceptable time to accept or deny?  (Once a final offer seems to be on the table . . . )

Just wanted everyone's thoughts . . .
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

BayAreaSM

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • Bay Area SM
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Current Gig: VP, Operations in AV Events
Re: Job Offer: How Long to Make a Decision
« Reply #1 on: Sep 04, 2013, 11:26 pm »
Being on the other end of waiting for a reply, I give people 10 business days to return a signed offer letter (from the date of receipt) - and that is stated on the offer letter itself.

However, before sending that letter, I do give a verbal or email offer first. I prefer to hear back from someone within a week to that verbal/email offer.

As SM applicants, we want the best job financially, emotionally and artistically fullfilling-ly that we can get. So we delay responding, and sometimes the employer is fine with that. However, I've been in the situation twice where I offered a job and the person I offered it to put off the response for a week, then another week, then another - then it gets to the point where it is difficult for the employer (me) to find someone of equal or greater quality to fill the position because it's too close to the start date.

I'm presently in a situation where we offered a job to someone, they said they would respond the next day - then they said they would respond by that Friday. When we heard nothing on Friday, we contacted them the following Monday and they asked again for the following Friday as a new deadline. The job starts in 2 months. I said I was opening up the position, and they could still tell me Friday, but I had to start looking. At this point, I am already 3 months behind on the search.

1 week is my new limit, as an employer. As a job hunter, I should probably take my own preference into consideration and make a personal rule to respond in a week or less.

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
« Reply #2 on: Sep 05, 2013, 01:38 am »
Good . . . I am playing within the seven day window.

(on a side note . . . one of the job offers was a "here are the shows", but I had to wait four days to get a salary and details attached to it . . . so, hard to know when to count when I got the offer . . . )
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

BayAreaSM

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • Bay Area SM
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Current Gig: VP, Operations in AV Events
« Reply #3 on: Sep 05, 2013, 01:54 am »
In that situation - getting the compensation information 4 days after the initial offer - I'd start counting your week to respond from the compensation offer date.

Also, in my special case, I stated at the end of the previous season (May 2013) that I wanted to hire this person - and I told them to their face, but only in the last 2 weeks we were able to give them their dates and compensation information. I started counting their response time from the compensation announcement. And that was 1.5 weeks ago. I think you're still in the clear.

nick_tochelli

• Loved and Missed.
  • Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • Nick Tochelli's Blog: The Backstage Ballet
  • Current Gig: PM- Godlight Theatre Company/Inside Sales:Barbizon Lighting
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #4 on: Sep 05, 2013, 10:38 am »
Depending on the start date obviously, but I felt comfortable making my response within 7-10 business days. I always tried to be at the closer end to 7 than the later end. If I was wavering to that extent by the 10th day then I'd say my decision was made already I just hadn't pulled the trigger to tell them "No."