Author Topic: Job description of a Resient Production Stage Manager?  (Read 9353 times)

bearbos

• New to Town
    • View Profile
I am trying to start a new position at a theater company. They don't have a resident stage manager and are in definate need of one. I was wondering, however, if someone has a job description of the duties of a resident PSM so that I could present it to the theater. What are the extra duties that one holds when one becomes a resident. I know that each theater company is probably a little different but any infomation would be extremely helpful.

Didaskalos

• Contributor
    • View Profile
Job description of a Resient Production Stage Manager?
« Reply #1 on: Apr 03, 2006, 01:40 pm »
The Actors Equity website is a good place to start.  Click the link below to take you to the SM packet which contains job descriptions.

http://www.actorsequity.org/Library/production/aea_sm_packet.pdf
Do it right the first time;  do it right every time.

smejs

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA, SMA, USITT
  • Current Gig: Freelance SM in Denver
  • Experience: Professional
Job description of a Resient Production Stage Manager?
« Reply #2 on: Apr 03, 2006, 03:13 pm »
What I saw on the Equity website was primarily a general stage manager's duties, not the added requirements of a Production Stage Manager.  

Off the top of my head, I can think of:
    - Supervising the entire stage management staff - sometimes this includes the hiring.
    - Running the production meetings - though sometimes this is done by the Production Manager.
    - Weekly schedules for the building - coordinating which shows (if several at once) use which rooms, as well as what's available for other departments, i.e., board room for the Development/Guild get-together
    - Keeping track of all petty cash for the SM Department

Erin

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
  • Experience: Professional
RPSM
« Reply #3 on: Apr 04, 2006, 11:26 pm »
As a resident production stage manager, I would say that it varies from every theatre.  There is no real set job description, and is often a fine balance of jobs put together by the stage manager and the production manager.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

riotous