Author Topic: Is NY Fringe Work worth it?  (Read 4577 times)

NomieRae

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA, Adelphi University
Is NY Fringe Work worth it?
« on: Jul 13, 2007, 12:21 am »
Hey All--

Starting to see lots of Fringe SM hiring, as it is the season here in NY. I'll just be coming off my first two AEA Showcases in August, and am wondering what the usual pay for a Fringe show is. I live on long island and weekly transportation runs about $50 so anything under $200 a week is a no-go. I know I need to pay my dues to get the experience, but I gotta pay rent too!

Any thoughts?
--Naomi
"First, I honor life, and with it my life in theatre." -- Jacques Burdick

BeckyGG

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Experience: Professional
Re: Is NY Fringe Work worth it?
« Reply #1 on: Jul 14, 2007, 03:45 pm »
Fringe is mostly AEA showcases.  The shows I have worked on (and most of my friends) are very low paying - sometimes as little as subway fare but I've also been paid more.  They are a good way to get to know people in the community and often you get to work with some very talented individuals.  The primary reason for working a Fringe show is to do something fun and a little out there and as always, to network.  Feel free to PM me if you want more details either on working a Fringe show or pay scale.
CHAOS: Where Brilliant Dreams Are Born
Before the beginning of great brilliance, there must be Chaos
Before a brilliant person begins something great, they must look foolish to the crowd.

jenndesimone

• Tourist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sep 05, 2007, 10:46 pm »
I would say don't do it! Unless you are looking for something on the side, I find that Fringe and festivals in general are not a good choice if your strapped for cash, you may end up losing more than you started with! However, if you are just starting out, it can be a good choice because it gives you experience and will improve your networking.

SMSamone

• New to Town
  • If the Simpsons ever need a SM, I'm ready.
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
« Reply #3 on: Sep 10, 2007, 02:35 pm »
I would say don't do it! Unless you are looking for something on the side, I find that Fringe and festivals in general are not a good choice if your strapped for cash, you may end up losing more than you started with! However, if you are just starting out, it can be a good choice because it gives you experience and will improve your networking.

I agree completely.  I've done two NY Fringe shows.  The first I did early in my career for networking purposes.  The show was fun and the people on my production were great.  The second show, I did for a friend.  Never do the NY Fringe to make money or break even.  Expect little to no help or support from the NY Fringe staff.  I had to supply, set up & run everything myself.  It seems to me that their philosophy of "treating everyone equally" means to give nothing to everyone.

On the flip side, I just returned from the Edinburgh Fringe Festival.  This show was well financed and our company was paid reasonably well.  All our travel & housing expenses were covered.  In addition, the staff at my venue was more than helpful.  I came to this festival expecting nothing (like the NY Fringe) and was pleasantly surprised to find everyone backstage and front of house was professional & qualified.  Some of them were even OVERqualified.  This is a very well run festival.  In addition, as part of the Assembly company, I got to see dozens of shows for FREE and eat at a discount at many local restaurants.  It was a blast.

Overall, my philosophy is, if someone is paying me to travel abroad I'll do it.  I'm not going to lose money on a show.  Festivals can be great fun as long as it's a team effort & you're not losing your shirt.

StageMgr2Stars

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sep 11, 2007, 01:17 pm »
Hey All--

Starting to see lots of Fringe SM hiring, as it is the season here in NY. I'll just be coming off my first two AEA Showcases in August, and am wondering what the usual pay for a Fringe show is. I live on long island and weekly transportation runs about $50 so anything under $200 a week is a no-go. I know I need to pay my dues to get the experience, but I gotta pay rent too!

Any thoughts?

I would say don't do it. I lived on LI and its just not worth losing money.
-C-