Author Topic: Internship Choices  (Read 2629 times)

Lauren

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Western Michigan University Alumni
  • Current Gig: Assistant Stage Manager, National Tour of Mamma Mia!
  • Experience: Professional
Internship Choices
« on: Feb 14, 2013, 04:38 pm »
I am currently in the really pleasant position of needing to decide between two SM internships, and I am looking for some feedback.

The first is with the Contemporary American Theatre Festival (straight theatre in rep):
I was their Assistant Company Manager last summer, and loved everyone I worked with. It's a good situation.

The second is with Des Moines Metro Opera (Opera in rep):
I don't have much prior knowledge of this company, and I have never worked in opera (though I can read music well, pick up languages easily, etc). I was flattered to get an offer, but again, I don't know anything about their people.

They have very similar pay and housing situations, both good.

Basically, I'm torn between returning to where I worked before and continuing to build relationships with the upper management there, or working in a field I have yet to experience and am interested in. They're pretty equal for me right now, but I need to make a choice!

Thank you in advance!
"The truth is rarely pure, and never simple" -Oscar Wilde

iamchristuffin

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • www.christuffin.co.uk
  • Affiliations: UK SMA, UK Equity
Re: Internship Choices
« Reply #1 on: Feb 14, 2013, 04:53 pm »
I'd go for the Des Moines job. The main reason for this is that you already have contacts and people to ask for future work at CATF - this is a chance to spread your network even further.

On a selfish note, I personally MUCH prefer opera to theatre, which may have tainted my views slightly. I also have no experience of the way things work in the US in general, and so others may very well disagree with me.

C

KMC

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Project Manager, Systems Integration
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #2 on: Feb 15, 2013, 09:13 am »
Hi Lauren, you may also find it helpful to check our "Been there, done that!" section (BTDT in the top right menu).  If you can find some members who have worked for these companies in the past you may be able to get some detailed and inside information on the structure of the internship program.  Good luck!
Get action. Do things; be sane; don’t fritter away your time; create, act, take a place wherever you are and be somebody; get action. -T. Roosevelt

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
« Reply #3 on: Feb 15, 2013, 12:24 pm »
Opera is very different from theater - it depends on where you want to end up.  If you have never tried opera, then do it, get a feel for it . . . you already have connections back at the other theater, so taking one summer off may not shut the door for you to return.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

BARussell

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Assistant to the Producers at Goodspeed Musicals
« Reply #4 on: Feb 15, 2013, 01:15 pm »
The tough thing about Opera is that it is hard to find a position where they will accept you without any experience, so if you ever plan on working in opera or even have some interest, taking this opportunity now would come in handy in the future. That is not to say I think that is the right decision.  There are  many other factors to consider, I would just make a pro/con list. I would hate to influence you based on how I feel, but if you really would like to know what I would do and why send me a message.
"We don't negotiate with weirdos!"

riotous