Author Topic: indicating new plays on a resume  (Read 4467 times)

Aerial

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: The Winter's Tale, Gamm Theatre
  • Experience: Professional
indicating new plays on a resume
« on: Sep 17, 2007, 12:37 am »
I'm in the process of reworking my resume, and in the last few years I have worked on a large number of new plays.  I'd like my resume to recognize these.  Looking through the Resume Browser, most people list them as World Premiere Production or something similar.  I'm hesitant to use that term, because while some of the shows I've done clearly fit that category, others are less clear cut (having had smaller workshop productions, or the like, in the past).  All of the plays I'd like to classify as new plays were very much in development for the process I worked on them.  Does anyone have any suggestions on how I might phrase this my resume?  Or is this not even an issue for my resume and better belongs in a cover letter, on an as needed basis?  I'd love to hear people's opinions on this.

McShell

• New to Town
    • View Profile
Re: indicating new plays on a resume
« Reply #1 on: Sep 17, 2007, 08:20 am »
"new work" "new play" or "full length premiere." 

I put an asterisk and at the bottom put "World Premiere" just because it fits the ones I've done.  I have one that had been workshopped prior (at the same theatre, the season before I got there), but the playwright and theatre awcknowledged it as the world premiere to the press, so that's how I left it, even though it had been workshopped.

Mac Calder

• Forum Moderators
  • Plan for the future, live for the now
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Live Performance Australia / Media Arts and Entertainment Alliance
  • Current Gig: Technical Director
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #2 on: Sep 17, 2007, 09:38 am »
I find "World Premier" etc to be tacky lines. New Work, or New Play etc are sufficient.

There seems to be a sense of grandure in the word "Premier", which I suppose could be considered a good thing for making a show stand out to the prospective employer, but I believe it could also be interpretted the other way, portraying you as someone who likes to embelish or enhance the truth of the matter (often with new works, the truth of the matter is they are mounted with minimal funding and without much noise - at least that is how it tends to be in Australia, then after being mounted in a small house, some big name producer comes along, buys up the rights, and it has a large premier with a major company - and no, I'm not that bitter)

sievep

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AGMA
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #3 on: Sep 17, 2007, 10:03 am »
Aerial -

For what it's worth, I'd put it in my cover letter as one of those "added bonus" points, or astericked on an "as needed" basis (applying for a SM job on a new work).  From having been on the hiring side, I just prefer resumes to be as simple and clean as possible.  While working on a new play has it's own set of challenges, I assume it's part of the job to keep up with changes on a new work, the same as any production can change from rehearsal to rehearsal.  My two cents . . .

Which reminds me, I need to browse through resumes and get some ideas . . .

Paul
"This lovely light, it lights not me" - Orson Welles

riotous