Author Topic: in between work...  (Read 2969 times)

hbelden

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Experience: Professional
in between work...
« on: Jul 10, 2008, 09:39 pm »
The '07-'08 season just ended for me, and I've lined up a great '08-'09 season; but it doesn't start for another six weeks.

I have put in for unemployment (naturally) but a six-week gap is longer than I've had before, and I feel like I should try and pick up some work.  However, all of my experience is in not-for-profit theatre, and I don't know how to look for work in other areas.  How do you get work with industrials, conventions, etc.?  I'd do a bar mitzvah at this point...

In the meantime, I plan on writing introduction letters to various LORT theatres, saying please keep me in mind when you begin planning the '09-'10 season.  Do you have other methods of creating work for yourselves?
--
Heath Belden

"I'm not good, I'm not nice, I'm just right." - Sondheim
--

Maribeth

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Experience: Former SM
Re: in between work...
« Reply #1 on: Jul 10, 2008, 10:08 pm »
One of the things I do to fill employment gaps is to "space-sit" at a theatre that I sometimes stage manage for. When one of their spaces isn't being used, they will rent it out to other theatre companies or groups, and they need to have a staff person on duty so unlock doors, answer questions, sometimes turn on equipment. It's not hard work, and I already know my way around the building, so it works out pretty well.

I've also done work for a dance studio, a documentary film festival, a non-profit arts organization, and other things- almost all of which I've found through friends, colleagues, or relationships I've developed with arts organizations over the last few years. I just make sure that the people I know are aware that I am looking for work and am open to opportunities when they come up- it's surprising how well it works out. Being open to doing other types of work helps a lot- and broadens my experience. I don't do much (if any) work that isn't arts-related in some way, and almost all of it is somehow theatre-related, even if not production work.

Maybe you could see if any of the theatres you work at have non stage management opportunities available over the summer.

Jessie_K

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
    • International Stage Manager of Mystery
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA, SMA (on leave)
  • Current Gig: Queen of the Night
  • Experience: Professional
Re: in between work...
« Reply #2 on: Jul 11, 2008, 01:42 am »
My first advice:  Take a vacation!!!!

To fill in I do: electrics/ crew work; sub for other SMs; take consulting jobs (theatre related)

In addition, this summer, I am doing a brief stint at a summer camp that involves a small amount of SM (final recital) but mostly involves helping occupy the "down" time to keep kids/ teens out of trouble.

More on subbing:
Summer is a great time to sub.  People need weekends off to go to out of town weddings/ family reunions.  Contact SMs in your area to see if anyone needs a sub.  This is especially good to do for festivals.  You can end up subbing multiple shows in the same venue.

riotous