Author Topic: How to differential between educational experience as a student and as a teacher  (Read 5844 times)

Jessie_K

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
    • International Stage Manager of Mystery
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA, SMA (on leave)
  • Current Gig: Queen of the Night
  • Experience: Professional
I am in the process of updating my resume and have come upon a question.

My current job is as a teacher for a professional training program. 

My resume is currently divided into categories:

Circus, Theatre, Opera etc

What can I title my new section?  I am afraid to use the term Educational because I think it will end up looking like I am a student.

Thoughts?

nick_tochelli

• Loved and Missed.
  • Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • Nick Tochelli's Blog: The Backstage Ballet
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: PM- Godlight Theatre Company/Inside Sales:Barbizon Lighting
  • Experience: Former SM
Not sure what an industry standard for this would be but maybe Educator?

You could also put Education as the header and in your cover letter explain you've been employed at such and such a university since blah blah blah and it would cover your bases.

SMrose

• Permanent Resident
  • all the world's a stage
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, IATSE
  • Current Gig: Technical Support Services @ Lenoir-Rhyne University
In my resume, I use: Adjunct Instructor, type of instruction ( i.e. Stage Management), name of college or university

Jessie_K

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
Hmm.  Does "Academic" sound more teacherly than "Educational"

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
Are you trying to list SHOWS or create a new academic section of your resume . . .

You might need to leave behind the traditional SM resume format and move on to a more complete CV format if you have are listing shows, and then academic teaching experience.

If you are trying to list shows, then maybe

Big Show      Instructional PSM      Director    So and So University

or something along those lines . . .

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

KMC

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Project Manager, Systems Integration
For a few years I had a hybrid theatrical and "standard business" resume.

I had the business experience listed under "Continuous Professional Employment" and the show-specific experience listed under "Related Theatrical Experience".  I was also applying for non-theatrical work at this time, so the resume was geared more towards business, but perhaps a hybrid of this nature would be good for your education-related work? 

Get action. Do things; be sane; don’t fritter away your time; create, act, take a place wherever you are and be somebody; get action. -T. Roosevelt

Jessie_K

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
This question is mainly geared to how to add my teaching experience to my "traditional" stage management resume which would be used to apply for show jobs.

I am not working on shows currently, it's just teaching.  So I need to create a separate category.

P.S. I have already created a hybrid/cv for teaching/ consultation type jobs.  In this version, I have highlighted selected jobs in my career and written out bullet points of job description to tailor to each job application.

Post Merge: Dec 14, 2012, 07:22 am
More info - desired format

THEATRE
PSM                        Show 1                                         Company A       Dir 9
ASM                        Show 2                                         Company B       Dir 10

CIRCUS
PSM                        Show 3                                        Company C       Dir 11

XXX????- EDUCATIONAL ACADEMIC INSTRUCTION
Instructor     Stage Management Training Program      Esplanade Theatre Co Ltd     
« Last Edit: Dec 14, 2012, 07:22 am by Jessie_K »

ScooterSM

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: SMA
On my traditional SM resume, I list mine like this:

ABC show PSM (staff/faculty) XYZ University
“I've never been paid a lot, but the theatre has kept me, and for that I shall be eternally grateful.” Tony Church

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
I am not sure teaching needs to / should fall on a traditional SM resume . . .maybe under special skills, if you still hold onto that section in your resume.

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

KMC

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Project Manager, Systems Integration
I am not sure teaching needs to / should fall on a traditional SM resume . . .maybe under special skills, if you still hold onto that section in your resume.

I would agree with this from a skills perspective, but if you leave the teaching experience off, how do you explain a 1-2 year (or longer) gap on your resume?
Get action. Do things; be sane; don’t fritter away your time; create, act, take a place wherever you are and be somebody; get action. -T. Roosevelt

maximillionx

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
I also just completed an educational position (teaching stage management so it's relevant to my SM resume). Since I'm on staff for a theatre and my job requires me to fill multiple positions, not just PSM, I'm finding a hybrid works well.  It covers what exactly I do without losing the pertinent information of a theatre resume.  I have my Theatre Experience category, then my Related Experience category (I wish there was a better name for this), then my Collegiate Experience last.

But back to your particular question...I don't mind Academic.  Educational gives off the perception that it was educational for YOU, not you who was doing the educating.  Just my 2 cents.

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
I would agree with this from a skills perspective, but if you leave the teaching experience off, how do you explain a 1-2 year (or longer) gap on your resume?

First, the gap might not be noticed if you leave years off resume (I am huge about leaving dates off your resume).

But, if the topic came up, you can explain at that point what you were doing . . . like you would if you were out due to family issues, going to school, serving time for knocking over a liquor store to support your meth habit.

It happens.

And, I am not sure how I would feel with someone applying to me for a professional position with teaching experience . . . is it a bias that "those who can, do, those who can't, teach"?  Is it because I would feel there are to set in their ways to be flexible enough to work as part of team?  Too opinionated?  I know, personally, that those applicants that have run across my "desk" that had teaching experience either left it off, or just put in the additional skills. 

« Last Edit: Dec 14, 2012, 01:55 pm by MatthewShiner »

Jessie_K

• Superstar!
    • View Profile

First, the gap might not be noticed if you leave years off resume (I am huge about leaving dates off your resume).

But, if the topic came up, you can explain at that point what you were doing . . . like you would if you were out due to family issues, going to school, serving time for knocking over a liquor store to support your meth habit.

It happens.

And, I am not sure how I would feel with someone applying to me for a professional position with teaching experience . . . is it a bias that "those who can, do, those who can't, teach"?  Is it because I would feel there are to set in their ways to be flexible enough to work as part of team?  Too opinionated?  I know, personally, that those applicants that have run across my "desk" that had teaching experience either left it off, or just put in the additional skills.

As for the meth- I only served a few months - so no noticeable gap.  Just Kidding.

As for the teaching bias- I understand your feelings.  I had them too before I started teaching.  Now that I teaching, I realize that it forces me to be even more flexible and concentrate on the methods of my communication.  Gone are the days where I can make a request and assume that my trusty ASM knows what I mean.  Teaching has forced me to rethink my understanding of the basics AND taught me a lot about to how read people as well.

So my recommendation to you, would be to reconsider your bias.  Teachers ARE do-ers.  :)

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
No, My bias regarding those who teach is different then those I listed - those I think are just the standard lines . . . if they teach, I feel like we can get into a more serious question about style and approach to work; because those that teach have usually given more thought in how to articulate it . . . so, I change the interview style . . .

Jessie_K

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
Hmm.  So you would hesitate to hire an ASM that had previously been a teacher.  What about a PSM?

riotous