Author Topic: How much to charge?  (Read 2673 times)

dwj0772

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Experience: Community Theatre
How much to charge?
« on: Apr 10, 2009, 05:23 pm »
I am the Stage Manager for a local community theatre group, and our resident Choreographer has a dance studio that she runs as her primary source of income.  She recently lost her long-time "stage manager" (really a mother of one of her dancers that stepped in to help out), and has asked me to SM her upcoming dance recital.  In the e-mail, she asked if her husband had talked to me about "appropriate pay."  I'm not Equity, so I don't have those rates to give her, but I don't know how to put a monetary value to what I do.  Any suggestions?

David

Mac Calder

• Forum Moderators
  • Plan for the future, live for the now
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Live Performance Australia / Media Arts and Entertainment Alliance
  • Current Gig: Technical Director
  • Experience: Former SM
Re: How much to charge?
« Reply #1 on: Apr 10, 2009, 05:57 pm »
How much you can charge depends largely on experiance and the company... You say the past SM was a dancers mother... Based on that comment, they may not be able to afford equity rates.

Also - by community, are we talking amdram-esq community theatre? If so, are professional rates really the correct entry point - no matter how much experiance, on paper, work in an amdram theatre is probably not able to justify full rates...

And another point - will it be stage managing as in typical stage managing, or will it be "Back stage manager/calling cues/doing tech without the rehearsal process"

Best bet - ask what they think is a reasonable pay - see what they have been paying. Before you go to the meeting though, make sure you know how much you need to make to keep the job from costing you money - so that includes transport, meals, time lost from primary place of employment, time lost from personal time etc. Then work out how much you want to be ahead... That gives you a base figure and an acceptance level.

Three things can happen, they can give you a figure greater than your acceptance figure. Accept the job. They can give you a figure between the base figure and the acceptance figure, consider it, try and get perks etc. They can give you a figure bellow your base figure. Don't accept... A job that costs you is not worth it.