Author Topic: How many pages?  (Read 7479 times)

dallas10086

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Freelance PSM; currently Charlotte Squawks 12
  • Experience: Professional
How many pages?
« on: Feb 22, 2007, 05:25 pm »
Just a general question for some ideas...

I've gotten to the point where I have two pages to my resume (guess that could also be a good thing). Was wondering how many people out there send their resumes, either by email fax or snail mail, with either one or two pages?

Signed, Curious in Charlotte  ;D

ljh007

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: SMA
Re: How many pages?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 23, 2007, 08:38 am »
ONE and only one
if you have to cut ruthlessly, then cut ruthlessly

don't fax it - mail (always best) or email (ok if they're expecting it)

references can have a separate page sent with or later
but it's best if you can fit them on the ONE sheet

Scott

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Feb 23, 2007, 09:14 am »

Still disagree with what I've read about references -- I provide only upon request and then on a seperate sheet.

(For one thing, I don't want my contacts being bothered until I establish that the potential employer is legit, pro, and offering a postition that initial discussion establishes is one I really want.  In addition, it is through discussion with the employer that I can establish which of many potential references are most appropriate for the situation at hand.  On the other hand, the NYC theatre community is close enough that the "Oh, I see you've worked with that person that I know -- I'll give them a call" syndrome usually kicks in.  When I'm hiring, references are fairly meaningless to me unless I know the person or institution.)

To each their own...maybe it would be worthwhile to try each way a number of times and see what results in the most amount of hirings for you.

DeeCap

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Feb 25, 2007, 05:04 pm »
 If I snail mail my resume, I have one page as resume and one page for references. Many places are asking the resume to be emailed nowadays.

Tempest

• Permanent Resident
  • Learn to love chaos, then tame it.
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: The Center For Puppetry Arts
« Reply #4 on: Feb 26, 2007, 12:57 pm »
I alway keep my resume trimmed to one page including only the productions I think are most germaine to the job I'm applying for.  If I'm presenting it in person, I keep the references sheet sperate, but ready to hand over when asked for.  If I'm mailing, I'll mail both together.
I don't know how "standard practice" this is, but I also keep my complete resume (including all old educational work) on a website, and include the url in all correspondence, including resumes.  It's worked out pretty well, so far!
Jessica: "Of course I have a metric size 4 dinglehopper in my kit!  Who do you think I am?"

Mac Calder

• Forum Moderators
  • Plan for the future, live for the now
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Live Performance Australia / Media Arts and Entertainment Alliance
  • Current Gig: Technical Director
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #5 on: Feb 26, 2007, 02:25 pm »
I don't include references on my "Hey look, I am out here if ever you need a stage manager/LD/SD/Event Coordinator/Whatever, keep me on your books" resume - however if applying for a specific position, I always try to find one that is most applicable and include a note that further references available by request.

I think that making them call you for a reference when you have a specific position in mind is a tad rude - I know when employing people I like to check up on them as much as I can, and basically avoid personal contact with them unless they are a shoe-in for an interview. A phone call to the applicant gives some form of hope that there will be an interview involved - so if everyone omitted references, then about 60% would be dissapointed in a weeks time (in my experiance), when a Dear John arrives in the mail.

As for length - for an SM, 1 page. It is a cut throat industry - and a single glance is often used to cull through the resumes.

Distribution - Email where possible. A couple of things though about email:

1) Cover letter should be in the body of the email, NOT AN ATTACHMENT!!!!!!

2) Resume should be in a format that is accessible to anyone - that means PDF is the best way. Formatting changes across Office versions, however most PC's have Acrobat - even 10-15 year old PC's.

3) Try not to send from l00k_at_my_1337_kool_email_address@hotmail.com (or johnnyboy_87@hotmail.com or whatever). Most ISP's give you an email account, or you can sign up with a decent name - preferable something that closely resembles your own - at somewhere like hotmail, gmail, yahoo mail, mail.com etc.

ChaCha

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • http://www.performinglineswa.org.au
  • Affiliations: Media, Entertainment & Arts Alliance
« Reply #6 on: Feb 27, 2007, 04:45 am »
but does the programme to convert word docs into pdfs cost a fortune?
ChaCha

Mac Calder

• Forum Moderators
  • Plan for the future, live for the now
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Live Performance Australia / Media Arts and Entertainment Alliance
  • Current Gig: Technical Director
« Reply #7 on: Feb 27, 2007, 07:11 am »
No, there are a lot of free ones out there:
CutePDF is one - and google turns up hundreds more.

VSM

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vernonwillet.com
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: PSM - Laguna Playhouse
« Reply #8 on: Feb 27, 2007, 11:57 am »
My iBook has the converter already installed as an option on the print page.
I agree, one page, down & dirty.
Ordo ab chao

Balletdork

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Current Gig: PSM, The Human Race Theatre Company
« Reply #9 on: Feb 28, 2007, 11:19 am »
One page please...

As an employer I prefer that references be on the same page....

as a job-seeker I used to put references on a separate sheet.  ::)

riotous