Onstage > Employment

how long do you wait for a response?

<< < (2/8) > >>

Mac Calder:
I have noticed that you often do not get responses in this day and age when you apply for jobs. Personally, I wonder how hard it would be to email a dear john letter out to everyone who applied and did not make first round, especially since a large number of places are now accepting emailed applications. That is my view anyway (and if I ever start a business, certainly the stand I will be taking).

amylee:
i have applied for over 200 jobs since the begining of this calendar year - some in the theatre, some in education, some in business, some at museums and some that defy classification.

so far, i have received approximately 25 "thank you but no thank you" emails or letters.

of the jobs that i actually got as far as interviewing, sending requested documents, etc. (about 30 to date), I have received about 5 "thank you but no thank you" messages. The rest forced me to call and wait for messages to be returned and then call again and repeat the degrading process until I finally got a human who admitted that they'd filled the position weeks earlier.

It is EXTREMELY rude - you don't even need to spend the 40 cents for a stamp - just inconvenience a few electrons and send a blinking email!

grrrrrrrrr.

(by the way - i have a new teaching job for next year at a charter school where i will be starting up a brand new theatre program! woo-hoo!)

loebtmc:
Much as we all would love a response to every interview, keep in mind that for most jobs (and esp in our industry), they only talk to you if you get to the next step and/or are offered the job. It happens on the actor side all the time. And those few seconds suggested to respond is only true if there are a handful of applicants. If even half the people on this list alone (not including the 1000s of SMs out there who aren't members) each sent out 200 resumes, think of the time they need to respond with upwards of 200 emails, which takes more than a few seconds whether you are typing in email address to a single letter or even if all you do is cut and paste as you go. Who has that kind of time to take away from their job? We all react as if we were the only ones being screened and as if they have nothing else to do.

PLUS who wants to be the one to say "sorry" - most folks are chickens and telling someone they weren't chosen is damn hard.

I know that the Welk in So Cal sends a group email to all the auditioners they call back, but they enter everyon'e email cuz they use it to bulk out their mailing lists which, well....suffice it to say that I get tired of being added to email and mailing lists.....

Point being, keep in mind their perspective - and the practicalities of these things.

MarcieA:

--- Quote from: "mc" --- Personally, I wonder how hard it would be to email a dear john letter out to everyone who applied and did not make first round, especially since a large number of places are now accepting emailed applications.
--- End quote ---

Just thought that I'd mention that ironically, after my little rant about not getting any responses that I got one today.

All it said was "Thank you for you interest, but we've offered the position to someone else."

Even though I didn't get the job, it atleast made me feel a little validated knowing that someone took the time to do that. (And I recognize that many people are too busy to do that, I'm just saying that it made a difference to me.)

jspeaker:
I agree... you really cant wait for a response.  

If there was an interview and you havent heard there is nothing wrong with sending an email asking if any decisions have been made.  Most people in this business will understand that you need to know because there might be another job pending.  And its okay to tell them that you need to know because you have an offer on the table.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version