Author Topic: UPTA and SETC  (Read 5182 times)

debos23

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
UPTA and SETC
« on: Jan 12, 2008, 11:09 pm »
Hello, all!  I have perused as many threads as I can find on this topic, and have found some good info.  However, I thought I would start a new topic on it, as these two events are coming up in just a few weeks and I'd like to get as much more information as possible.   A little background:  I have been Equity for four years, and worked at one SPT theatre as the resident PSM the entire time.  My goal is to work on large-scale/musical productions (number one goal to tour and/or work on cruise ships).   This is my first time attending what I have heard referred to as the "meat market" production interviews of UPTA and SETC.

What advise do you have for a first-timer to make the most of the experience and get as many quality interviews as possible?   What are key points you feel should be made during the interview to make sure producers remember me and want to offer me a job?

I can use all the honest feedback possible, so thank you in advance for your candor!

deb

lissa1600

• Tourist
    • View Profile
Re: UPTA and SETC
« Reply #1 on: Feb 01, 2008, 11:49 pm »
I have never been to UPTA but SETC was a pretty standard thing for my undergad, my suggestion to you would be to after you have gotten there and are registered, make sure to pick up the booklet on the job contact service. this will list all the theatres there that are hiring, what positions they are filling, and possible pay. go through the list, make you selections of who you want to meet with and on day one go to those tables and see how they are approaching interviews. alot of companies have sign up sheets and will only meet with you if you have signed up and the spaces fill quickly. others just have a line to talk to them, sometimes there are rounds: after you talk to the person at the table, if they like you, then you advance to another interview. So once you know how the company is interviewing you can make a schedule and hopefully meet with all your possibilities. As for the interview. Be yourself, be relaxed and answer honestly. if they like you, they will remember you.  hope this helps.

debos23

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
Re: UPTA and SETC
« Reply #2 on: Feb 03, 2008, 05:41 pm »
Thanks, Lissa!