Author Topic: Looking to get involved  (Read 3316 times)

cbjfan44

• Tourist
    • View Profile
Looking to get involved
« on: Jan 07, 2008, 11:36 pm »
I just got my degree in Mass Communication Broadcasting. My big mistake was going from Film to my current degree. I should have gone into theatre. Does anyone have any suggestions as to help me get a start even at the bottom of the chain as a Stage Manager without having to go back to school as I can't afford to go right now? I have some what you'd call Stage Manager experiece even though it is more at the Sports entertainment what we would call Producer. It only took me a month and a half to do my job and take it over from intern to holding to position. I'm just wanting to know if someone out there would be willing to take me in to learn and have a job. I know it is hard to come by but I'm just wondering. If anyone has a suggestion let me know and e-mail me if possible. I'm looking to make this my career and have a big drive to do so.

Thanks

samantha

• Tourist
    • View Profile
Re: Looking to get involved
« Reply #1 on: Jan 24, 2008, 05:52 pm »
I honestly think the best way to go about it is to just accumulate as much experience as you can, even if the job is crappy. It definitely helps that you have a degree; even if it's not in theater, I doubt anyone will care about that if you are good at what you do and have good references.
You will find something for sure, it just may not be the greatest job in the world at first.

nmno

« Reply #2 on: Jan 25, 2008, 01:45 am »
You don't have to go back to school to work as a stage manager so cross that worry off your list right now.  It might take a little more manuvering to get "in" but it's possible.  It sounds like you are willing to start at the bottom which is good.  What I want from an intern/PA/ASM is someone who is smart, hardworking, eager to learn and pro-active.  It sounds like the people at the sports entertainment job you were doing might provide an excellent reference, since you moved to real/paying position so quickly.  And somehow I imagine that in that job you had to deal with some kind of "talent" be they athletes or sports reporters etc, which is probably much like dealing with actors.  The key is to focus on your skill sets and sell those and how they would transfer to the theatre world. 
If you are willing to work as an intern for no pay, most regional theatres would be happy to have you!  Then you've got your foot in the door.
If they don't have stage management positions available, ask if they have positions on the crew - it will still give you an opportunity to see it close up and the whole foot-in-door thing.

HappiTam

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: SMA, AACT
« Reply #3 on: Jan 27, 2008, 02:39 am »
I'm so relieved to see that "going back to school" is not a absolute must. 
Hopefully I'll continue learning from people that I work for & my efforts will speak for themselves.

riotous