Author Topic: How far to book ahead?  (Read 3823 times)

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
  • Experience: Professional
How far to book ahead?
« on: Jan 28, 2014, 11:17 pm »
So, I continue to adapt to freelancing, I am finding the challenge of how far to book ahead.

Right now . . . I am currently in rehearsal for a show, and have my next two shows lined up . . . the only reason I have booked so far ahead is they completely line up - keeping me employed from Jan 7 to July 10 - and the other projects I have in "development" were free and clear . . .

I am just wondering how far other people tend to book?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

MarcieA

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA, SMA
  • Current Gig: PSM, Lake George Dinner Theatre/Tri Cities Opera
Re: How far to book ahead?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 28, 2014, 11:23 pm »
For me, it depends on the work. Normally I only book myself 3 months or so in advance, but a company that I worked with in September offered me a spot in their season, which though it has breaks in it, keeps me contracted through May.

I also have a 2 standing gigs that take me from May-Oct and then Jan/Feb and most of what I do build from that. I'm actually fortunate enough to be booked right now from May 2013-October 2014 with one 4-week gap for the month of April.

I would say book the work if it's being offered and it's something you want to do. If something comes along that makes you re-think that decision then you can look at it on a case by case or show by show basis.

Companions whom I loved and still love, tell them my song.

iamchristuffin

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • www.christuffin.co.uk
  • Affiliations: UK SMA, UK Equity
« Reply #2 on: Jan 29, 2014, 02:52 am »
As I'm really only in year 3 of my career after university, my focus is on getting repeat contracts with companies I liked working for- rather than rapid career change or progression.

As a result, I'm 'saving dates' until for much of 2014 - apart from a  week in March, and a five week block in August, I'm unavailable until early November now.

That said, there are two places that would get a free pass to my time, if they were to offer me something!

C

E2A: If I were to pull out of a contract, it would have to be at least a month beforehand - I wouldn't want to feel like I was leaving them in the lurch!

hbelden

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
« Reply #3 on: Jan 30, 2014, 11:11 am »
In the SF bay area, with all of my theaters on the non-profit season subscriber model, I tried to pay attention to season announcements when they came out in the January-March time frame.  Then, using my knowledge of each theatre's production timeline, I'd try to plan out a season of shows I was a good match for with as few gaps as possible.  When I started out, I would have three or four plans worked out.  I'd then market myself, in as narrowly-targeted a manner as possible, to the shows I'd identified. Over time, as I developed working relationships with some theaters in the area, this process got pretty streamlined.  Usually by May/June, budget issues had been worked out and I had at least verbal agreements with shows from September-June of the next year.

Knowing what scale was, I could then budget out my income over the course of the season, and save up money from the large contracts to subsidize the smaller contracts.  I'd also carefully track my projected health weeks to make sure I wasn't in danger of losing coverage.

My career goals included avoiding out-of-town shows; providing a predictable base of income for my family; and working my way up the available levels of contract.  Planning family vacations months in advance was also a boon for booking so far in advance.
--
Heath Belden

"I'm not good, I'm not nice, I'm just right." - Sondheim
--

SMscuba

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Experience: Community Theatre
« Reply #4 on: Feb 09, 2014, 04:24 am »
I usually have three or four shows lined up. I've been pretty lucky in that in the years I've been stage managing since college, I've never been without a gig for more than a month. It's nice when you can get things lined up so you can go straight from one show to another. But I've learned to ask before accepting a job if the company ever extends a run. If they do, it can mess up rehearsals for your next show.