Author Topic: How do you work your network?  (Read 3846 times)

PSMKay

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.smnetwork.org
  • Affiliations: None.
  • Current Gig: SMNetwork *is* my production.
  • Experience: Former SM
How do you work your network?
« on: May 01, 2009, 02:18 am »
SMRose's mention of using her network to further her career over in the Green Room got me to thinking about the vagaries of "networking" in general.  It's something that is known as a productive way to get jobs, but the specific details of how to do it are often overlooked, or kept close to the chest as "trade secrets."

What do you consider to be "networking?"  How have you previously found jobs based on the strength of your connections?  What ideas have you wanted to try?  I'm not talking about the internet only - we've done the whole Facebook angle previously.  I'm more interested in success that you've found from old-fashioned, phone call and shmoozefest networking.

KMC

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Project Manager, Systems Integration
  • Experience: Former SM
Re: How do you work your network?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2009, 08:43 am »
My biggest tip on working your network is to keep the connections fresh and the lines of communication open BEFORE you need a job, a reference, a favor, etc...  A good anecdote of this is something that actually happened to me in the summer of '08.  I was laid off from my then current job as the company aimed to cut costs and reduced their staff.  A former colleague and still a friend heard about the news, and within a week of me getting the axe, called me to tell me about an open position elsewhere in the industry.  He had already contacted the company that was looking for someone, and all I had to do was make contact with my now current employer and interview.  Nearly 10 months later I can truly say getting laid off was the best thing that could have happened to me as I'm much happier now. 

Moral of the story is keep the connections fresh, so that when you do need to leverage your network it's not an "out of the blue" phone call or email.  This will also help keep your name near the front of other peoples' minds, so that if they do hear about a job opening they can say "Hey you know what, so and so would be great for this - you should call them".
Get action. Do things; be sane; don’t fritter away your time; create, act, take a place wherever you are and be somebody; get action. -T. Roosevelt

NomieRae

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA, Adelphi University
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2009, 12:22 pm »
For me being in the NYC and freelancing.. having a good network is completely necessary in order to get jobs that pay the bills.

It may sound silly and obvious, but in order to keep myself in people's minds, I see all their shows! I keep an eye on playbill, websites, Time Out magazine and when I see a show a director, designer or producer I've worked with has done I go see it (usually in previews when it's cheaper..)

Recently I applied for a job, and when they contacted my reference (a director I love working with) he got back in touch with me to say "come see my show!" so I made time to go see it, met his current SM who is booking me for more work this summer as a testament to my 'loyalty' to that director.

Also I can't stress enough the importance of networking in theater complexes--If you're working in a busy complex (for me its Theatre Row) take the time to get to know the staff, managing directors, the guy that runs the stage door, because I recently got a few one-offs because when a group came in from Tennessee and needed a SM last minute, they called me.

Just a few tips that always work for me!
--Naomi
"First, I honor life, and with it my life in theatre." -- Jacques Burdick

crazylady

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2009, 11:07 am »
We all know the following, but sometimes we forget how it influences networking abilities - and that is talking badly about other people you have worked with. This is a small world and it is proven every day to me. Not two months ago I met someone who I had heard about
(not necessarily good things) but in conversation, we realized we knew A LOT of the same people. This person can help me get a job because of their current position. So i guess what i'm trying to say is: be careful what you say to who because you never know who they know personally.

that's my 2 cents. :)
“Perhaps, therefore, ideal stage managers not only need to be calm and meticulous professionals who know their craft, but masochists who feel pride in rising above impossible odds.”
                                           - Peter Hall

missliz

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
    • Personal Site
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2009, 11:06 pm »
I volunteer a lot. I've worked a few charity/non-profit events and met a lot of theater people by going in the back way (literally, and occasionally while carrying boxes). Honestly, I enjoy volunteering for a good cause, and meeting people is a great perk that's worth as much as getting paid.

I keep a theater "brag list" and when I'm doing a show, I send a little note about it to all the people on the list. It's a way to check in, and if it's applicable, I invite them to industry night so they can get in for free and see the work I'm doing! Even if they can't make it, I tend to get "thanks for thinking of me!" emails, which are great.
I personally would like to bring a tortoise onto the stage, turn it into a racehorse, then into a hat, a song, a dragon and a fountain of water. One can dare anything in the theatre and it is the place where one dares the least. -Ionesco

riotous