Author Topic: Hiring a rehearsal SM and performance SM  (Read 3925 times)

reneelibra

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Austin Lyric Opera, Opera Parallele, Hidden Valley Opera, Festival Opera, Siren Project
  • Current Gig: Tosca: ASM with Austin Lyric Opera
  • Experience: Professional
Hiring a rehearsal SM and performance SM
« on: Feb 26, 2014, 01:30 pm »
I had a phone interview for a Gillbert and Sullivan show and although it went well the production manager says the company may want an old SM who did this exact show four years ago, but at press time, they had not yet spoken to said SM.
I've followed up on the situation and the production manager says they are discussing the possibility of a SM for rehearsals and one for performance. This particular show will move to four theatres in the local area. I've never worked for companies where this happens. I can only assume and so can you, but can someone elaborate as to why a company would explore this option? Is it because of the challenges of "touring" a show, long rehearsal periods, scheduling conflicts, or to have a familiar face? 
Anything helps!

BARussell

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Assistant to the Producers at Goodspeed Musicals
Re: Hiring a rehearsal SM and performance SM
« Reply #1 on: Mar 03, 2014, 03:45 pm »
Probably the same reason people would hire an actor or singer knowing they will need a replacement halfway through the run. Each person brings something the company wants to the table but neither is the complete package. Maybe they want someone experienced for production and rehearsal so they don't have to deal with bringing someone else up to speed, but are not as worried about performance as they can just train someone in. Maybe they want someone on the show but cant afford them for the whole time. Maybe someone owes someone a favor but someone has schedule conflicts. These are all ideas I just made up/  Hiring is so complicated and each company is different. I don't know would it be weird to ask?
"We don't negotiate with weirdos!"

BayAreaSM

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • Bay Area SM
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Current Gig: VP, Operations in AV Events
« Reply #2 on: Mar 05, 2014, 12:58 am »
I don't think it would hurt to ask, though I believe BARussell brings up some really plausible situations. I know Matthew Shiner has posted on this forum before about being just a rehearsal or just a performance SM, and I myself have been just a rehearsal SM and just a performance SM.

Speaking for myself, it has all come down to scheduling. Just before I was to go into prep at a Shakespeare company, I got a job offer for a resident ASM position at a ballet company (that paid more than Shakespeare). The ballet job was set to start just after opening of the Shakespeare show. Since I was able to give over 4 weeks notice, the company decided to keep me for rehearsals and hired a replacement at tech. In another instance, I replaced a SM a few days after opening, because it was known in advance that she had to leave for another project. She and the director were friends, so they agreed that she would get them through rehearsals and opening, then I would take over.

Based on what you said regarding their preference to bring back a previous SM, they may want to work with that person, but their schedule only allows for a certain segment of the time. I wouldn't take it personally. While it may seem strange, it isn't unheard of.

LauraB

• Tourist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Mar 05, 2014, 11:38 am »
I've worked with a company (non-union) that had this practice. Sometimes it came down to scheduling, but sometimes it was just about what people were comfortable doing. Several people in the company were happy to work the rehearsal process, but did not want to deal with moving in to the theatre or running the show. I was usually working another gig, but was happy to go to some rehearsals and take over once the show went in to tech. Often the rehearsal SM would become the ASM for the run. 

It might not be the best professional practice, but it worked for this particular company and the schedules of the people involved.

Incidentally, this group did a lot of G&S and mostly the directors wanted one set and lights on, lights off sort of design, so that made things simpler, too.

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
« Reply #4 on: Mar 05, 2014, 12:29 pm »
There can be a lot of very good reasons to do this  . . .

It may have to do with schedule.

It may have to do with skill sets.  Putting a show together versus running a show are very different skill sets.   (I for example love rehearsing and teching shows, but not always interested in setting down for a lengthy run . . . )

Someone can learn a show and take over . . . it's not the uncommon . . . SMs hand over shows all the time.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.