Author Topic: High School Stage Management Salary  (Read 4061 times)

jacksonlightning

• Tourist
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Fiddler on the Roof
  • Experience: High School
High School Stage Management Salary
« on: Jul 14, 2012, 03:38 pm »
Hi Everyone
I'm a high school stage manager/lighting designer/etc. and I've never been paid for my work before.
I recently contacted a theatre company and asked about light designing their show; the woman (I believe she's the owner but the company's just getting started so it was a little ambiguous) responded and said that she was going to be LD because of budget constraints but asked for my resume so she could keep it on file.
I wasn't expecting a salary when I emailed her but, call me evil, I wouldn't complain about being paid for my work after four years of working for free/paying to work.
Anyway, she then responded and asked what I usually get paid in terms of an hourly wage/stipend.
I know my original email was about LD but my resume clearly reflects the fact that most of my experience is SM related so I'm wondering if anyone has advice for how to respond to this email.
I don't really want to reply saying, "Nothing, I'll do anything for no money just please take me!" but I don't really know what a reasonable amount would be to reply with.
Let me know if you have any advice and thanks so much for your time!

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
  • Experience: Professional
Re: High School Stage Management Salary
« Reply #1 on: Jul 14, 2012, 07:04 pm »
You know, it all depends, professional stage managers - even AEA - work from $00.00 a week to over $2,000.00 a week, and, here's the kicker, it has little to do with your experience, it has to do what with the contract or the producer is willing to pay.  You have too look at what realistically what can this producer afford to pay and what I am willing to do the job for.  Sometimes those numbers are so far off, you need to walk away from the job, sometimes they are so close, it's not even worth negotiating. 

Given you are willing to do it for free, but would like a little something, maybe something in the $50.00 a week range would be realistic . . . I know nothing about the scale, scope or production values going into the show - nor how much of your time you are willing to be there.  Of, if it is going to more labor intensive, maybe asking for minimum wage - they are of of AEA contracts that don't work out to that rate.  But, your email has few details.  If you want to private me more details, I think I can customize your advice.

I would hesitate you pricing yourself OUT of the running, as you really seem to want to do it . . . and it maybe a good experience for you.

Best of luck,
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

loebtmc

• View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SAG, AFTRA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Caroling, caroling now we go — and looking for my next gig!
  • Experience: Professional
Re: High School Stage Management Salary
« Reply #2 on: Jul 14, 2012, 07:37 pm »
Is the company community or professional (even on a tiny scale)? And, can this lead to something? Is it a good for your resume or have good connections to a next opportunity? While I don't believe SMs shd EVER work for free, if you are starting out and building a resume, it's normal to work for dirt cheap, especially if it can lead to something. But you need to also protect yourself. If you haven't worked outside of a school environment - which is a very, very different beast from professional and community theater - this could be a great learning opportunity. You can give yourself a limit (time frame, number of shows, or if you have learned what they can teach) and reevaluate then. But plan on your first job being minimal pay, and keep eyes and ears open to learn as much as you can. Once you have proven your value (and learned about life in the non-school world), you have bargaining power.

riotous