Author Topic: help altering resume  (Read 3382 times)

stagebear

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
help altering resume
« on: Aug 29, 2006, 12:32 am »
anyone ever alter their resume from stage to television/film? if so, what did you do/what advice do you have?

i know the two positions aren't exactly the same but have many similarities. which qualifications should i highlight?

thanks in advance.

ljh007

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: SMA
Re: help altering resume
« Reply #1 on: Sep 03, 2006, 11:22 pm »
Well, I've not done it for my own resume, but I have had the tiniest bit of work in TV, and I did help a friend in film alter her theatre resume to film, so...

- Separate your theatre and film work into separate categories. If you're going for a film/TV job, list that stuff first to highlight your experience in that field.
- Emphasize any work you have in film/TV, even stuff like craft services. Just like being second ASM or a PA, you have good experience hanging around operations in the industry. So what if you were just fetching coffee?
- Try very hard to draw attention to familiarity you might have with technology in the area. Knowing how to set up a dolly/boom/light meter, or knowing how to run an AVID are huge plusses. You might even be able to pick up some of these skills by joining your local IATSE as an extra and taking any classes or training sessions your Local might offer. Ask around and pound the pavement to take advantage of this. Film and TV are inevitably high-tech industries. You can succeed in theatre without knowing how the heck a light board is operated, but in film you kind of have to know at least the basics of how technology is applied at each step in the production process.
- Meanwhile, as with any job experience, try to get involved in as many projects as possible. Because TV and film require lots of labor, interns/PAs/ADs and crew are always needed. Jump on projects to get experience and make connections.

From my experience, film and TV are extremely different from theatre. Yes, a lot of things are similar as far as prep and production. But technology and performance processes are very unique. Some experience will translate, some won't. But organizational, diplomatic, and effectual skills will translate from a cubicle to a theatre to a shoot location. Show them you can do it, and the bullet points on your resume will just be details.