Author Topic: Getting Jobs & Leaving Jobs  (Read 7516 times)

Balletdork

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Current Gig: PSM, The Human Race Theatre Company
  • Experience: Professional
Getting Jobs & Leaving Jobs
« on: Jul 30, 2007, 10:03 am »
Quick announcement:

I will be leaving the Alabama Ballet as Company Manager & Principal Stage Manager at the end of this month in order to accept the position of Production Stage Manager at the Human Race Theater in Dayton, Ohio.

I am very excited about this move and the oppurtunity to return to theater (and Dayton, where I went to college, and the Human Race where I worked during college, and Ohio where my family lives!)

Sadly- I have to leave the Alabama Ballet (my home for the past 7 years) in order to accept this position.

Anybody have any advice on how to make a clean break from an institution without offending anyone?

???

thehayworth

• Contributor
  • Uh oh.
    • View Profile
    • Propaganda Pipeline
  • Current Gig: Santaland Diaries
Re: Getting Jobs & Leaving Jobs
« Reply #1 on: Jul 30, 2007, 10:17 am »
Steal office supplies.

Give them plenty of notice, in writing, but deliver it by hand and explain, and thank them for the 7 years.

They will probably be happy for you.....
"This time for sure."

Jessie_K

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
    • International Stage Manager of Mystery
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA, SMA (on leave)
  • Current Gig: Queen of the Night
« Reply #2 on: Jul 30, 2007, 10:23 am »
Yes in writing.  Yes hand deliver.  Say all the great things you enjoyed and tell them your reasons for leaving.  It sounds like you have a lot of good reasons to go to the new job and sounds like you put in your time at your old job.  Offer to help train your replacement.

ChaCha

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • http://www.performinglineswa.org.au
  • Affiliations: Media, Entertainment & Arts Alliance
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #3 on: Jul 30, 2007, 10:54 am »
congratulations on the move!
even if they are sorry to lose you I'm sure they will understand at the ballet. the previous advice seems good!
ChaCha

Balletdork

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jul 30, 2007, 11:42 am »
Yeah... I've spoken to all the powers that be

(of course one of the deciding factors for me was when the Artistic Director, the Executive Director, the Associate Artistic Director and the Costume Director all resigned within a month of one another...so powers that be are ???)

now it's time to write a letter...  :P

ljh007

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: SMA
« Reply #5 on: Aug 06, 2007, 08:53 am »
When I've had to leave positions, I tell my supervisors in person first, and give them a letter a few days later. You can find examples of letters online - be sure it's professional, positive, honest, and well written. It'll go in your file for sure! Also, I try to give at least one month's notice, in general, and whenever possible time it so that it's between seasons or at least shows.

And when you're living through the "lame duck" period between your announcement and your last day, do the best work you've ever done. I usually keep very quiet about my departure until a day or two before I go, certainly letting everyone know but just not, you know, talking about it a lot. Tie up as many loose ends as you can, get your desk tidier than it ever was before, start jotting down notes you think the next person might need to have, and keep in touch with colleagues about the status of your projects so that someone will have all those helpful tidbits of info that were floating around in your head. I usually grab my supervisor for a quick exit interview - even if they do not initiate it - so that I can be sure they know about my initiatives and observations for the next person that comes in. (I mean, the kind of stuff that comes with the hands-on experience - who's great, who's a problem, general long-term projects, big dreams and ideas, little thorns in your side... just so they have some awareness. If someone comes next season and says "Steve builds props that always break immediately," this won't be the first time anyone's mentioned something about Steve's performance.)

If a kind and well-wishing coworker wants to pull together the "goodbye party," let them, but insist that it be small. Go, enjoy yourself, drink and be merry but do not get blasted and say things you really should never have said. But you should let them throw a little shin-dig for you.

Very best wishes!

Mac Calder

• Forum Moderators
  • Plan for the future, live for the now
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Live Performance Australia / Media Arts and Entertainment Alliance
  • Current Gig: Technical Director
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #6 on: Aug 06, 2007, 11:01 am »
If some well-wisher does not decide to throw you a good bye party - consider organsing a quick 'good-bye' drinks at the local, and to make sure that you are remembered fondly - first and last shout should be on you ;-)

My first job, I burnt a hell of a lot of bridges when I left it, and it has haunted me ever since - as well as ensured that I lost out on a few jobs. I made the mistake of telling them extactly why I was leaving, and it was not complimentary to them. From what you say, that won't be a problem, as you seem to have a lot of fond memories of the place, but make sure they know it.

Also - make sure that when you do announce it, you let everyone know. Finding out someone has left through the grape vine leaves a very bitter taste in your mouth .

Balletdork

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Aug 06, 2007, 12:20 pm »
Yeah- with so much turn over in the artistic and administrative direction of the company I did make sure to call all the current dancers- and emailed all the ones who haven't started yet. Plus I told all the other employees in a one on one chat type scenario.

Thanks for all the well wishes and encouragement!!!  ;D

riotous