Author Topic: Hiring and references  (Read 12487 times)

DeeCap

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
Re: Hiring and references
« Reply #15 on: Nov 29, 2006, 11:29 am »
I agree with Matthew.
I've had potentional employers see a director on my resume that they know and give them a call, regardless if they are a reference or not.

smsam

• Contributor
    • View Profile
  • Experience: College/Graduate
« Reply #16 on: Nov 29, 2006, 05:27 pm »
On my resume I list five references. All of these people have agreed to be referees for me and I know them reasonably well in professional circumstances however I am fairly sure that none of them would want me to put their phone number on my CV. This is for two reasons, firstly they are a mix of very successful professionals; one is a famous writer/director, another is a very successful Lighting Designer etc. and secondly my CV is on the web so in the public domain, if you google them personally you will only ever find agents contact details. Therefore on my CV I have put please contact me for contact details of referees. Is this OK or would this aggravate/ annoy you as an employer? Am I being too weary with there contact details??

Sam x
Sam x

LisaEllis

« Reply #17 on: Nov 30, 2006, 12:09 am »
I think you're right not to list their personal information when you post it on the web.  That would be tricky and,famous or not, everyone has a right to that privacy.  I would also not post MY contact information in public domain, which is another reason I don't have a resume posted online.

However, when applying for a job, I always provide email addresses and a phone contact for my 3 references.  Before sending out a round of resumes, I let them know that they may be hearing from folks and ask/remind them that they said I could use them as a reference.  I also usually try to provide work numbers, not home or personal if possible, or ask what contact they prefer I put down.  I think it just makes it easier on the person doing the hiring than having to keep track of a seperate piece of paper with the contact info, etc. on it.

Most PMs will look to see who else they might call about me to get the "not a known reference" angle on me (director, someone at another company, etc...).  Just as I often get an email from other friends, "what can you tell me about so-and-so?" or "have you worked at this company and what about (blank)?"  They're looking for the most complete image of a candidate to make an informed decision before offering a job. 

I also think visual appearance and formatting of a resume and cover letter make a strong impression on the person hiring.  If it can't be easily scanned and information gleaned quickly, it's more likely to get set aside.  Again, making it easy on the person to hire you can only help the process.

ReyYaySM

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Current Gig: Freelance
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #18 on: Nov 30, 2006, 01:33 am »
Therefore on my CV I have put please contact me for contact details of referees. Is this OK or would this aggravate/ annoy you as an employer? Am I being too weary with there contact details??

On the resume I have posted on my website, I have listed "References Available Upon Request" because I don't want to have their contact details just out there for anyone to grab.  I even do a reduction in my own personal info, listing only an email address because I don't really want to have my cell phone number or address out there on the web. 

However, if I am serious about a job when I submit my resume, then I include my references and their contact info.  I always talk with the people I have listed as references and give them a head's up that I'm sending resumes out and confirm that they are still willing to be one of my references.  If they didn't want me to include their contact information, then I would probably put someone else on the resume, but mention in the interview that they could also contact John Doe, who I worked with on X production as (fill in the blank). 

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
« Reply #19 on: Nov 30, 2006, 10:59 am »
Is this OK or would this aggravate/ annoy you as an employer? Am I being too weary with there contact details??

Anything that puts a barrier to me contacting the references, can slow the process down, and make me skipover contacting your references.  If you are sending the resume, send the references.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

stagemonkey

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Dec 01, 2006, 07:02 pm »
On the flip side of the listing things on a resume sometimes just having the shows name and theatre listed is enough for people to connect who you worked with.  During my last internship the stage manager i was working under was telling us how sometimes he will get called asking how a certain actor was to work with since the company looking to hire knew he stage managed the show listed on the actors resume.  As others have mentioned its a small world out there (i've been seeing it more and more lately) if you are going to list a show on your resume make sure anything you put down about it is something you were happy with and you believe the people you worked for were happy with you, cause someone is always going to know someone who you worked with on that show and they might ask about you.

Balletdork

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Current Gig: PSM, The Human Race Theatre Company
« Reply #21 on: Apr 04, 2007, 12:45 pm »
Is this OK or would this aggravate/ annoy you as an employer? Am I being too weary with there contact details??

Anything that puts a barrier to me contacting the references, can slow the process down, and make me skipover contacting your references.  If you are sending the resume, send the references.

Me too... sorry to say!

Mac Calder

• Forum Moderators
  • Plan for the future, live for the now
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Live Performance Australia / Media Arts and Entertainment Alliance
  • Current Gig: Technical Director
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2007, 09:11 pm »
I maintain three different CV's - one is "Public Domain" - ie posted on the net in various freelance crew finding sites, it has "References available on request". The next is "Job canvasing" - ie used when I do a mail out to various venues/companies etc, I list 1 major reference and put "Further references available on request". Then there is my "Application" one - tailored to a possition I am applying to with 4 references